Advanced Methods of Risk Management
FSI-XAM-KAcad. year: 2018/2019
The main kontent of the course is a review of the procedures and methods for hazard identification (sources of risk) and determination of the level of risk (estimation of the frequency of occurrence of an event). The course focuses at industrial safety (with regard to the relevant EU legislation), social risk of industrial activities, deductive and inductive methods of risk sources detection and risk estimation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course allows the students to také up on the knowledge from previous studies, to deepen it and to broaden it with the specified field. The students learn to use the basic methods and procedures of safety engineering, which require considering of a broad spektrum of technical, economic and ecological aspects.
Knowledge of mathematics and physics in the extent of previous studies at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering is expected.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ČSN EN 31010. Management rizik - Techniky posuzování rizik. [s.l.] : Úřad pro technickou normalizaci, metrologii a státní zkušebnictví, 1.1.2011.
EN 31010 Risk management - Risk assessment techniques; European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization 2009; pp 80
EN 61025 Fault tree analysis (FTA); European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization 2007; pp. 48
ČSN EN 61025. Analýza stromu poruchových stavů (FTA). [s.l.] : Český normalizační institut, 1.11.2007
ČSN EN 62502. Techniky analýzy spolehlivosti - Analýza stromu událostí (ETA). [s.l.] : Český normalizační institut, 1.7.2011
EN 62502 Analysis techniques for dependability - Event tree analysis (ETA); European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization 2010; pp. 44
ČSN EN 60812. Techniky analýzy bezporuchovosti systémů – Postup analýzy způsobů a důsledků poruch (FMEA). [s.l.] : Český normalizační institut, 1.1.2007
EN 60812 Analysis techniques for system reliability - Procedure for failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA); European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization 2006; pp. 44
IEC 61882 Hazard and operability studies (HAZOP studies) - Application guide; International Electrotechnical Commission 2001; pp. 56
ČSN IEC 61882. Studie nebezpečí a provozuschopnosti (studie HAZOP) - Pokyn k použití. [s.l.] : Český normalizační institut, 1.10.2002
Lees Loss Prevention in the Process Industrie; Mannan, Sam. 3rd Edition. Texas, USA : Elsevier 2005; pp. 3775; ISBN 978-0-7506-7555-0
BABINEC, František. Management rizika : Loss Prevention & Safety Promotion [online]. Brno : Slezská Universita v Opavě, Ústav matematiky, 2005 [cit. 2011-10-14]. Dostupné z WWW:
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through consultations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions of course-unit credit award: active participation in lectures and seminars, semestral work, written test, in justified cases the lecturer may set an alternative requirements.
Language of instruction
The objective of the course is to introduce the students to the concept of risk analysis and to modern methods of risk analysis applied in technical practice. It is a multidisciplinary course, covering also the evaluation of human factor reliability.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in lectures is recommended.
In justified cases alternative form of tuition, solution of individual semestral project.
Type of course unit
17 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, koncept of safety management, basic terminology. Prevention of serious accidents.
2. Serious industrial accidents, couses and consequences.
3. Mathematical methods of risk estimation.
4. Sources of risk (mechanical, elektrical, chemical, biological).
5. FMEA and FMECA methods,application in risk analysis.
6. HAZOP method, detail analysis of sources of risk by HAZOP, prerequisites, possibilities of application.
7. ETA method, evaluation of initial events by ETA.
8. FTA method, evaluation of top event development by FTA.
9. Methods for analysis of reliability of human factor – analysis of tasks, HTA method.
10. Methods for analysis of reliability of human factor – evaluation of the influence of human factor on equipment.
11. Evaluation of risk analysis, metrics for estimation of risk acceptability.
12. Prevention of risks – elimination of sources, preventiv of occurrence, minimization of consequences. Approaches to risk prevention.
13. Presentation of semestral works.
35 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Statistical methods in risk analysis, semestral work assignment.
2. Serious industrial world and local accidents, evaluation with ESIA and INES approaches.
3. Mathematical methods of risk description.
4. Evaluation of risk sources seriousness, handling dangerous materials.
5. Practical application of FMEA and FMECA methods.
6. Practical application of HAZOP method.
7. Practical application of ETA method.
8. Practical application of FTA method.
9. Practical application of HTA method.
10. Practical application of Human HAZOP method.
11. Evaluation of risk analysis, use of metrics for estimation of risk acceptability.
12. Approaches to risk prevention.
13. Presentation of case studies. Test.