Mobile Communication Systems
FEKT-MSMKAcad. year: 2018/2019
Students become familiar with the elementary principles of signal propagation and data transmission in mobile networks. The cours continues with explanation of principles, that apply in data transmission in GSM, GPRS and EDGE networks, including the measurement of Quality of Services and network optimization issues. Emphasis is put on explanation of the principles of 3rd a 4th generation mogile systems (UMTS, LTE). During the course, the principles and properties of wireless access networks (802.11x), WiMAX neworks, ITS, and the specifics of Car2Car and Car2X communication are discussed.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate of the course is able to
- explain the principles of data transmission in GSM networks and in the mobile networks of 3rd and 4th generation,
- compare the properties of radio interfaces in different mobile communication networks,
- describe the communication of wireless access networks using the OSI mode,
- analyze and interpret the traffic in mobile networks,
- discuss the properties of different mobile network systems.
Student registering for the course should be able to describe the basic principles of electromagnetic wave propagation (properties of direct, reflected and space wave) and the specifics of different frequency bands. In general, knowledge of the Bachelor's level degree are required. The course a continuation of the Bachelor's course BRMK.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
PROKOPEC, J. Systémy mobilních komunikací: Sítě pro mobilní datové služby. Skriptum FEKT VUT v Brně, 2012. (CS)
HILLEBRAND, F. (Ed.) GSM and UMTS: The Creation of Global Mobile Communication. Chichester (UK): Wiley, 2002. (EN)
ERGEN, M. Mobile Broadband Including WiMAX and LTE. New York: Springer, 2009. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical laboratories.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
During the semester, the students can acquire up to 30 points for their active work in laboratory. The final exam is awarded by up to 70 points.
Language of instruction
1. Data transmission in mobile networks, introduction.
2. GSM, EDGE - second generation cellular networks
3. UMTS - third generation cellular networks. Introduction, physical layer
4. UMTS - architecture evolution (rel. 99, rel. 4, rel. 5)
5. UMTS - radio resources management, high speed data transmission HSPA
6. LTE - Long Term Evolution, 3GPP Release 08. Physical layer description
7. LTE - Architecture, system properties
8. LTE - Radio resources management, CloudRAN, LTE Advanced
9. Wireless Access networks (802.xx), WLAN 802.11 a, b, g, n, ...
10. Wireless Personal Networks WPANs
11. WiMAX and Mobile WiMAX - broadband wireless access networks
12. ITS networks (Intelligent transportation System), Car2Car and Car2X communication
13. Fifth generation of cellular networks, wireless networks for Internet of Things
The aim of the course is to introduce students with the conception and function of mobile communication systems for data transmission used at present time in Czech republic and world-wide and suggest tendencies for mobile communications in the near future.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course anually.