Microprocessors with ARM Architecture
FEKT-MPOAAcad. year: 2018/2019
Students will become familiar with ARM Cortex-M core and its applications in STMicroelectronics STM32 and NXP Kinetis microcontroller families. The will use the development boards with these microcontrollers (STM32F4DISCOVERY, 32F429IDISCOVERY, FRDM-KL25Z) to create larger projects, work with RTOS, advanced communication interfaces (Ethernet, USB), creating drivers. Students implement their own project with the selected development board as an individual project.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able to:
- describe the structure of ARM Cortex-M core
- describe basic blocks of STMicroelectronics STM32 a Freescale Kinetis MCUs
- use manufacturer development boards for prototyping
- use selected peripherials connected to the MCU
- understand the different development environments used for ARM Cortex-M core
- create own software projects with USB and Ethernet support
Attendant should be able to:
- describe main processor blocks and their function
- be familiar with the source code and the command line
- create a program in C language, using pointers, function parameter passing, separate compilation
- design hardware and firmware for basic peripherals (button inputs, multiplex displays, graphic displays, shift registers, temperature sensors, etc.)
General knowledge at the level of Bachelor's degree and experience in programming of 8-bit microcontrollers is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
HEROUT, P. Učebnice jazyka C. České Budějovice: KOPP, 1994 (CS)
MANN, B.: C pro mikrokontroléry. BEN, Praha 2003. (CS)
MARTIN, T. The Insider's Guide To The STM32 ARM Based Microcontroller. Hitex Ltd., UK, 2008. (EN)
GANSSLE, J. Embedded Systems, World Class Design. Newnes, 2008. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Student submits an individual project.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students can receive a maximum of 45 points for active work in computer labs. Individual project including presentation is rated up to 55 points.
Language of instruction
development boards and tools for ARM Cortex-M
ARM Cortex-M core
overview of advanced C languge
EmBitz and Kinetis Design Studio environments, mbed.org platform
Kinetis: basic functions, button drivers, LED shield, Xtrinsic sensors, Ethernet interface
STM32: basic functions, matrix keyboard, USB interface, gyroscope, audio applications, DMA, FreeRTOS
The aim of the course is to make students familiar with ARM Cortex-M core, with STMicroelectronics STM32 MCUs and Freescale Kinetis MCUs, teach them how to program these microcontrollers in C language, and gain experience with different development environments.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized