Projecting, Administration and Security of Computer Networks
FEKT-LNSBAcad. year: 2018/2019
Modern civilization depends on a correct functioning of computer networks. Significant attention must therefore be paid to the security and design of these networks. On completing the course, students will have a thorough overview of the functioning, security and design of computer networks. Lectures are mainly dedicated to explaining the protocols in particular computer network layers, the principles of securing computer networks, and the design of computer networks. Laboratory exercises are dedicated to the administration and security of linux servers.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A student who completes the course will be able to:
• explain the applications of cryptography in computer networks,
• explain the way computer networks in the physical layer function and are secured,
• explain the way computer networks in the link layer function and are secured,
• explain the way computer networks in the network layer function and are secured,
• explain the way computer networks in the transport layer function and are secured,
• explain the way computer networks in the application layer function and are secured,
• explain the general methodology of computer network design,
• deal with the administration and security of linux servers.
No special knowledge is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Dostálek, L. - Kabelová, A.: Velký průvodce protokoly TCP/IP. Computer Press, Brno 2005.
Graham, S. - Shah, S.: Administrace systému Linux. Grada, Praha 2003.
Kállay, F. - Peniak, P.: Počítačové sítě a jejich aplikace. Grada, Praha 2003.
BURDA, K. Návrh, správa a bezpečnost počítačových sítí. Brno: VUT v Brně, 2014. s. 1-171.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
10 points can be obtained for fulfilling the tasks in laboratory exercises and 90 points can be obtained for the examination. The examination is a written one and it is to check whether the student is able to explain the functioning and security of computer networks in different layers of the RM-OSI model.
Language of instruction
1. Cryptography in computer networks.
2. Physical layer and its protection.
3. Link layer and its protection.
4. Network layer and its protection – protocols.
5. Network layer and its protection – routing.
6. Transport layer and its protection.
7. Application layer and its protection.
8. WLAN networks.
9. Protection of LAN networks.
10. Network security.
11. Design of the WAN network.
12. IPv6 protocol.
13. Prospective evolutionary trends.
The goal of the course is to provide students with a good insight into the branch of designing and securing computer networks and their functioning.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at Laboratory exercises is obligatory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-ML1 Master's
- Programme EEKR-ML Master's
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional specialized