FEKT-KZSYAcad. year: 2018/2019
Security systems are designed for the protection of assets of individuals and institutions. On completing the course, students will have a thorough overview of designing and operating common security systems and their functioning. Lectures are mainly dedicated to explaining the functioning of intruder alarm systems, fire alarm systems, closed-circuit television systems and access control systems. In exercises, students make experiments with common security systems and prepare projects of intruder alarm systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A student who completes the course will be able to:
• explain the principles of the functioning of intruder alarm systems (IAS) and their detectors,
• explain the principles of the functioning of fire alarm systems (FAS) and their detectors,
• explain the principles of the functioning of closed-circuit television systems,
• explain the principles of the functioning of access control systems,
• explain the principles of the functioning of electronic payment systems,
• operate common security systems,
• design a simple intruder alarm system.
No special knowledge is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BURDA, K.; STRAŠIL, I. Zabezpečovací systémy. Brno: Vysoké učení technické v Brně, 2012. s. 1-187. ISBN: 978-80-214-4441- 6. (CS)
STRAŠIL, I. Zabezpečovací systémy: laboratorní cvičení. Brno: Vysoké učení technické v Brně, 2013. ISBN: 978-80-214-4720- 2.
Lukáš, L. a kol.: Bezpečnostní technologie, systémy a management. VeRBuM, Zlín 2011. (CS)
BURDA, K.: Systémy elektronického zabezpečení pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO. Brno: Vysoké učení technické v Brně, 2014. s. 1-84. ISBN 978-80-214-5060-8.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system. Students have to write a single project during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
10 points can be obtained for fulfilling the tasks in laboratory exercises and 90 points can be obtained for the examination. The examination is a written one and it is to check whether the student is able to explain the principles of the functioning of different types of security systems.
Language of instruction
2. Intruder Alarm Systems (IAS).
3. IAS detectors.
4. Perimeter Alarm Systems.
5. Closed-circuit televisions (CCTV).
6. Fire Alarm Systems (FAS).
7. Access control systems.
8. Biometric access control systems.
9. Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS).
10. Digital Rights Management (DRM).
11. E-commerce payment systems.
12. Dangerous Goods Detectors.
13. Perspectives and evolution trends.
The goal of the course is to provide students with a good insight into the branch of security systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Laboratory exercises are obligatory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme IBEP-TZ Bachelor's
branch TZ-IBP , 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-BK Bachelor's
branch BK-TLI , 3. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized