FEKT-FEALAcad. year: 2018/2019
The course is focused on deterministic and stochastic optimization methods for finding global minima. It focuses on evolutionary algorithms with populations such as genetic algorithms, controlled random search, evolutionary strategies, particle swarm method, the method of ant colonies and more.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate of the course is capable of:
Implement a simple analytical optimization method (steepest descent and Newton's method)
To implement the simplex method for finding global extreme
Explain the nature of stochastic optimization methods with populations
Explain the nature of binary and continuous genetic algorithms and the basic operations
The knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested, namely on numerical mathematics. The laboratory work is expected knowledge of Matlab programming environment.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Tvrdík, J.: Evoluční algoritmy. Skripta, Přírodovědecká fakulta Ostravské univerzity, 2004 (CS)
Zelinka, I. a kol.: Evoluční výpočetní techniky. Principy a aplikace. BEN, Praha, 2009 (CS)
Hynek, J.: Genetické algoritmy a genetické programování. Grada Publishing, 2008 (CS)
Haupt, R.L., Haupt, S.E.: Practical Genetic Algorithms. John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2004 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every year.
- 30 points can be obtained for activity in the laboratory exercises, consisting in solving tasks (for the procedure for the examination must be obtained at least 15 points)
- 70 points can be obtained for the written exam (the written examination is necessary to obtain at least 35 points)
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to mathematical optimization, gradient, hessian.
2. Method of steepest descent, Newton method
3. Simplex method, hill climbing, tabu search, simulated annealing (SA), control random search (CRS), evolution search (ES).
4. Differential evolution (DE), evolutionary strategy (ES)
5. Genetic algorithms (GA), binary GA
6. Continuous GA, Travel salesman problem (TSP) and GA
7. Genetic programming
8. Ant colony (AC), TSP and AC, TST and SA
9. Partical swarm optimization (PSO)
10. Algorithms inspired by fireflies, bats, cuckoos
11. Algorithms inspired by wolves and bees
12. MATLAB optimization, algorithms verification and comparison
Obtaining an understanding about deterministic and stochastic optimization methods. Introduction to the evolutionary algorithms with populations for finding the global extremes multidimensional functions. Introduction to the genetic programming.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Delimitation of controlled teaching and its procedures are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every year (see Rozvrhové jednotky).
- obligatory computer-lab tutorial (missed labs must be properly excused and can be replaced after agreement with the teacher)
- voluntary lecture