Printed Circuits and Surface Mount Technology
FEKT-BPSMAcad. year: 2018/2019
Subject deals with topics of printed circuit board (PCB) production and assembly process from the components and used chemistry at the entrance of the process to the repairs and quality requirements at the assembly process exit. Subject deals with basic materials for production of printed circuit boards (PCB), their properties, application and comparison with inorganic substrates, technology procedures of single-, double- and multi-layer PCBs production, new technology trends of PCB production, surface mount technology (SMT), throuh hole technology (THT) and combined mounting of electronic parts and quality requirements of placement and soldering.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to orientate in production of asembled and non assembled PCB
define basic terminology from PCB
describe and explain differences in basic materials - organic, inorganic - composition, properties and application
prove knowledges from subtractive technique of PCB production . Name and explain partial production steps of single, double and multilayer PCB
is able after received knowledges operate with PADS PCB design system, later is able to design simple PCB in PADS
prove to explain technology procedures from throuh hole technology (THT), surface mount technology (SMT) and mixed technology
prove to explain flux, solder paste, adhesive and solder alloy functions
master soldering and cleaning of PCB problematics, is able to disscuss questions of til/lead and lead free techniques
able to apply received knowledges in real production PCB technology analysis, prove to disscuss partial steps
master reflow soldering temperature profile measuring and evaluation
prove to interprete quality requirements for assembly and soldering according to international standards IPC A 610 rev. D , E
able practically place and solder PCB with surface mounted devices (SMD), master principles and technique of repair of TH and SM devices, manual assembly and deassembly
master basic english terminology from PCB production and from PCB assembly
The subject knowledge on the secondary school education level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Starý, J., Šandera, J., Kahle, P.: Plošné spoje a povrchová montáž, PC DIR - REAL Brno, 1999 (CS)
Starý, j., Zatloukal, M., Stejskal, P.: MMOT - Montážní a propojovací technologie (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teachning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories and excursions.Lectures are based on Power Point presentation with videos. Education is guided with practically oriented questions especially in laboratories that are oriented to topics for practical application Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of laboratory works - max 25 points, test 1st - max 10 points, test 2nd - max 15 points, final written examination - max 40 points, oral final examination - max 10 points. Written and oral part of final examination are duty. Progress to oral part of final examination is only after receiving min 15 points from written part of final examination. Oral part of final examination is passed with min 4 points.
Examination is oriented to evaluation of received knowledges from printed circuit board (PCB) production and surface mount technology (SMT) topics and in practical orientation in technology analysis of real assembled PCB. Student in this analysis demonstrates ability to choose conforming technology procedure of components assembly and of PCB description incl. applied PCB surface treatments.
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every year.
Language of instruction
1. Base materials for Printed Circuit Boards (PCBś) production, organic, inorganic, reinforcements, resins, copper clad materials. Base materials organic rigid, flexible, rigid/flexible, semiflexible. Properties: electrical, mechanical, thermal, chemical. Standard ČSN EN 61249 – xx – xx.
2. Organic base materials, properties. Base materials inorganic, comparison with organic. Requirements for base materials, latest trends and development in base materials area. MID.
3. Interconnection structures, types. Subtractive, semiaditive and aditive methods of production interconnecton structures. PCBś production - main orientation. Base steps in PCBś production. Technology procedure of single, double and multilayer PCB.
4. Interconnection structures with microvia, SBU methods. PCBś assembly - through hole technology (THT) and surface mount technology (SMT), mixed. Technology procedures. Latest trends in SMT.
5. Surface moun devices (SMDś), packages, properties, type of leads, IC packages, passive components, elektromechanical devices, BGA packages, construction.
6. "Chemistry in assembly" and correct application in process /solder paste, solder alloy, adhesive, conformal coating, packaging material/
7. Semi semester test (10 questions/9 minutes). Application techniques /screen printing, stencil printing, dispensing/. Stencils, screens - preparation. Basic for quality in printing, factors.
8. Optical inspection after printing (SPI). Placement of SMDś, pick and place machines, methods of centering components.
9. Soldering, solder joint, requirements for solder joint. Soldered joint vs. welded joint vs. joint realised with adhesive - comparison. Methods of soldering. Requirements for quality of placement and soldering acc. to IPC A 610 rev. D.
10. Solder joint reliability. Lead free vs. lead soldering. Thermal management of PCB. Temperature profile measurememts.
11. Wave soldering (mass), nitrogen atmosphere infuence. Manual soldering, principles, soldering tips maintenance. Reflow soldering, methods, forced convection and nitrogen atmosphere influence.
12. Testing of assembled and non-assembled PCBś. Quality control, methods. Automatic Optical Inspection (AOI). Statistical tools for quality testing and improvement.
13. Rework and repairs of PCBś. Contact and hot air/nitrogen method of deassembly and asembly components. Principles and techniques of repairs. Requirements for PCBś quality acc. to IPC and European standards.
The aim of the subject is to make students familiar with the printed circuit boards (PCB) production. Initiate them into the material and technology questions of components assembly, which are available at present time. Main focus is in surface mount technology (SMT).
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
18 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
The other activities
4 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course