Electronic devices. CLON
FEKT-BESOPAcad. year: 2018/2019
PN junction. Semiconductor diode. Bipolar Junction Transistor. Unipolar Transistors. Switching devices, Thyristor.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Based on the verification of laboratory work after completing the course the student is able to:
Understand the formation of built-in-voltage in the junction and its influence on PN junction behavior.
Define the barrier and diffusion capacity of the PN junction.
Explain the operation of PN junction in following circuits: Rectifier, voltage stabilizer, capacitance diode, photo-diode, light emitting diode (LED) and current controlled differential resistance.
Describe the structure of the bipolar transistor and explain its operation.
Design and analyze class-A-amplifier and switch with bipolar transistor.
Describe the structure of unipolar transistors JFET and IGFET and explain their operation.
Design and analyze class-A-amplifier and switch with unipolar transistors JFET and IGFET.
Describe the structure of a thyristor and its equivalent circuit and to explain its operation.
Define the principle of phase control of power switching devices.
Knowledge at the secondary school level.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Singh J. : Semiconductor Devices ,McGraw-Hill
Boylestad R., Nashelsky L. :Electronic devices and Circuit Theory ,Prentice Hall
MUSIL V., BRZOBOHATÝ J., BOUŠEK J, PRCHALOVÁ I.: " Elektronické součástky", PC dir, BRNO, 1999
Boušek J., Kosina P., Mojrova B.: Elektronické součástky, FEKT VUT V BRNĚ, elektronické skriptum
Boušek J., Kosina P., Mojrova B.: Elektronické součástky sbírka příkladů, FEKT VUT V BRNĚ, elektronické skriptum
Boušek J., Kosina P.: Elektronické součástky BESO, laboratorní cvičení, FEKT VUT V BRNĚ, elektronické skriptum
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Supervised laboratory classes. Course uses e-learning (Moodle)
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The maximum number of points obtained for active participation in laboratory classes: 100.
Minimum points for credit: 70.
Language of instruction
1. Devices in the laboratory. Measurement of properties of derivation circuit and integration circuit.
2. Semiconductor diode. Current-voltage characteristics of the diode. Diode as a rectifier and as a controlled resistance.
3. Semiconductor diode. Current-voltage characteristics of the diode. Diode in the forward direction and reverse direction. Diode as arectifier, as a reference voltage source, as a switch and as a controlled resistance.
4. Semiconductor diode. Diode as a reference voltage source. Varicap. Photodiode,
5. Bipolar Junction Transistor. Current-voltage characteristics of BJT in Common Emitter configuration (CE). Normal and inverse active mode, saturation.
6.Bipolar Junction Transistor. BJT as an amplifier in CE, CB, CC.configurations. / Control measurement..
7. Bipolar Junction Transistor. BJT as a switch.
8. Unipolar Transistors. JFET as a current source, as an amplifier, as a switch and as a controlled resistance. Current-voltage characteristics.
9. Unipolar Transistors. MOSFET as an amplifier and as a controlled resistance. Current-voltage characteristics.
10.Field effect transistors. MOSFET as a switch.
11.Thyristor. Current-voltage characteristics. Switching characteristic. Determination of the holding current.
Familiarize students with the electronic devices and their use.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classroom participation according to time-schedule, achieving given score limit.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-B Bachelor's
branch B-AMT , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
branch B-EST , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
branch B-MET , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
branch B-SEE , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
branch B-TLI , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory