FSI-UERAcad. year: 2018/2019
The course is focused on a pressing issue of business ecology. At the same time, the students will obtain a basic overview of environmental legislation – individual acts, operation statistics and duties concerning businesses will be assessed.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
This course enables students to get acquainted with basic overview of legislation concerning environment components protection (the so called component acts) and legislation concerning protection against specific sources of environment endangerment. Obtained knowledge will enable students to assess businesses’ activity not only in terms of finances but also in terms of the environment.
Students should possess knowledge equal to five semesters at Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Kiely, G.: Environmental engineering. Boston: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1998, 979 s. ISBN 0-07-116424-3.
G. Kiely. 1998. Environmental Engineering. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998. 979 p. ISBN 0-07-709127-2.
CORBITT, Robert A.: Standard handbook of environmental engineering. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1999, 1 s. ISBN 0-07-013160-0.
Technika prostředí [Janotková], skripta VUT, 1991
Vejvoda, J., MACHAČ, P. a Burian. P.: Technologie ochrany ovzduší a čištění odpadních plynů. 1. vyd. Praha: VŠCHT, 2003, 226s. ISBN 80-7080-517-x
Ekologie– úvod do studia ekotechniky [Smolík, Kincl, Krpeš], skripta VŠB, 1992
Konference OSN o ŽP a rozvoji, Rio de Janeiro [Moldan], 1993
NOSKIEVIČ, P., KAMINSKÝ, J.: Využití energetických zdrojů. Ostrava: VŠB, 1996, 91 s. ISBN 80-7078-378-8.
Ochrana životního prostředí [Herčík, Lapčík, Obroučka], skripta VŠB, 1995
Ochrana životního prostředí [Dirner a kol.], skripta VŠB
Podkladové materiály k uplatnění čistší produkce a prevence [ČCČP], 2003
Recyklace [Božek, Urban, Zemánek], 2003
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students have to present a paper in order to get a classified credit. The students have to prove they obtained relevant knowledge at the end of semester.
Language of instruction
Introduction to the theory of environmental management in the area of company ecology. Overview of valid legislation and duties of individuals and entities. Methods and strategies applied in management of companies and businesses minimizing negative impact on the environment. Presentation of terminology, methods and procedures applied in various areas of industrial activities, detailed specification of selected types of prevention.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The attendance is obligatory only in case of seminars and excursions, where the presence of the students is checked. In justified cases, a substitute form of education can be held, i.e. in form of individual project (a practical case study).
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. General introduction to business ecology. Overview of valid legislation.
2. Act providing for chemical substances and preparations, relevant regulations. Duties of eligible individuals. Classification of hazardous substances and preparations.
3. Physical chemical characteristics of chemical substances and preparations. Safety sheets.
4. Packing industry – legal requirements, basic terms, individuals’ duties.
5. Act providing for air and relevant regulations.
6. Classification of air pollution sources. Calculation of fees for air pollution, operation statistics, overall operation statistics.
7. Basic regulations in the area of water management in practice. Application for permission to treat water, calculation of fees, controlling of defected substances storing.
8. Adjustment of technical and cooling waters. Biological and chemical waste water purification.
9. Transport of hazardous substances on highways and railways (ADR, RID).
10. Tools for practical application of environment protection – environmental audit, EMAS, EMS.
11. Integrated prevention in environment protection.
12. Act providing for environment impact assessment.
13. Economy of the environment.
labs and studios
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Assignment of papers. Environmental policy in the Czech Republic and the EU.
2. Working with chemical substances and preparations database – HSDB, CHRIS, IRIS.
3. Written rules for chemical substances, preparations treatment, their risk for human lives.
4. Package labeling. Warning signs.
5. Air in the Czech Republic.
6. Operation Rules in accordance with Act providing for Air.
7. Practical case of water operation rules.
8. Practical case of water accident plans.
9. Kemler code. Written guidelines for hazardous chemical substances, preparations transport.
10. Excursion – Heating plant Brno.
11. Practical case of carrying out an IPPC form for an industrial business.
12. Practical case for carrying out an EIA for an industrial business followed by a discussion.
13. Paper presentations.
eLearning: opened course