Earth Working Machinery
FSI-QZEAcad. year: 2018/2019
The course makes students acquainted with the work technology of earthmoving machines, types of earth machines, design of earthmoving machine drives, and the latest technology of control and check of earthmoving machines.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to design a conception of earthmoving machines, force proportion on working device with respect to work technology; they will be able to design geometry and kinematics of working device of earthmoving machine. They will also design optimal technological machine groups for carrying out earthwork and determine their theoretical, technical and operational reliability.
Students are required to have basic knowledge of physics, machine parts and their mechanism and physics of materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VANĚK, Antonín. Moderní strojní technika a technologie zemních prací. Praha: Academia, 2003. Česká matice technická (Academia). ISBN 8020010459. (CS)
Nichols, H. L. - Day D. A.: Moving The Earth: The Workbook of Excavation, Sixth Edition, McGraw-Hill Professional; 6 edition 2010, ISBN 978-0071502672
Nichols, H. L. - Day D. A.: Moving The Earth: The Workbook of Excavation, Sixth Edition, McGraw-Hill Professional; 6 edition 2010, ISBN 978-0071502672 (EN)
Vaněk, A.: Moderní strojní technika a technologie zemních prací, vyd. Acamedia, Praha, ISBN 80-200-1045-9, 2003
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Part of the course can be excursions to the companies, which manufacture or operate the equipments from the thematic area of education.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The exam includes oral and written parts. It verifies the knowledge acquired in the course and abilities to apply it in practice.
Language of instruction
The aim of this course is make students acquainted with work technology of earthmoving machines, types of earthmoving machines according to constructional groups, and common constructional dispose of earthmoving machines. Students will become familiar with design of working and travel devices according to force requirements, and the latest technology of control and check of earthmoving machines.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Course-unit credit is awarded on condition of having attended the exercises actively and worked out assigned projects. Presence in the exercises is obligatory.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Technology of earth work, classification of earthmoving machines.
2. Main constructional groups of machines.
3. Technical properties of earths.
4. Methods of earths disintegration and their energy demands.
5. Force effects between earth and tool.
6. Driving devices of earthmoving machines, determination of engine power.
7. Hydrodynamic gear.
8. Hydrostatic gear.
9. Hydraulic system of earthmoving machines.
10. Chassis of earthmoving machines.
11. Transmission of forces between chassis of earthmoving machine and earth.
12. Hydrostatic servo-mechanism of earthmoving machines.
13. Brake system of earthmoving machines, cooling system of earthmoving machines.
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Technical assignment and development of wheel loader.
2. Determination of climatic variant marking of multipurpose front loader for area of expected purpose.
3. Determination of technical properties of earths.
4. Calculation of working machines resistances.
5. Evaluation of cooperation between combustion engine and moment converter and calculation of moving forces and machine speed.
6. Evaluation of earthmoving machine engine power.
7. Design of hydraulic generators for circuit of working hydraulics.
8. Calculation of joint loading bearing of wheel loader chassis.
9. Calculation of steering moment and speed-torque characteristic of wheel loader with joint frame.
10. Calculation of movement resistances of caterpillar chassis of excavator.
11. Design of hydraulic generator for servo-mechanism circuit.
12. Calculation of loader’s brakes.
13. Calculation of loss and heat formation in circuit of working hydraulics and servo-mechanism, evaluation of hydraulic circuit cooling of earthmoving machine.