Theory of Internal Combustion Engines
FSI-QTSAcad. year: 2018/2019
The subject acquaints with knowledges of theory of internal combustion engines, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, combustion, heat transfer, stress analysis, materials science, electronics and computing. Heed gives to theoretical, construction and functional aspects.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject make possible the students to obtain the knowledge of theory of internal combustion engines.
The student needs to have knowledge appropriate courses of theoretical basics of master study programme at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Brno University of Technology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The credit is suspended by active participation in exercises and correctly elaborated acts. The exam checks the knowledge from lectures and exercises, consists of written and oral parts.
Language of instruction
Provide knowledge for practical, theoretical, experimental and scientific activity in area of combustion engines.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Seminars are obligatory, checked by a teacher. The way of compensation of missed lessons (in justified cases) is solved individually with the course guarantee person.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
01. Thermodynamics cycles
02. Cycles of reciprocating internal combustion engines
03. Fuel for internal combustion engines, thermochemistry
04 Supercharging of internal combustion engines, compressors and turbines theory
05 Cycles real combustion engines and their comparison with the ideal cycle
06. Energy conversion efficiency of internal combustion engines
07. Engine operating characteristics, measurements and their use
08. Intake and exhaust processes, Mixture preparation in SI engines
09 SI engine ignition, combustion and Knock
10. Diesel engine: injection
11 Diesel engine: ignition and combustion
12. Control of combustion engines and its optimization
13. Emissions combustion engines and methods to reduce them
labs and studios
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
01. Introduction of softwaret CyclePad, MATLAB and Simulink and their use for calculations of thermodynamics cycles
02. Calculation of ideal thermodynamics cycles of combustion engines using CyclePad
03. Calculation of ideal thermodynamics cycles of combustion engines using MATLABu
04. Thermal calculation engine, identification of major proportions
05. Health and safety at work
06. Experiment accuracy. Engine test conditions
07. Speed characteristic (measurement)
08. Load characteristic (measurement)
09. Mechanical efficiency (measurement)
10. Energy balance (measurement)
11. Emissions of spark ignition engines
12. Smoke emission of compression ignition engines (measurement)
13. The effect of valve overlap on engine operation (measurement)