Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics
FSI-MMPAcad. year: 2018/2019
Subject introduces students with capabilities of computational simulations of fluid flow and presents philosophy of work in CFD environment. Emphasis is put on preprocessing, i.e. 3D geometrical modeling and computational grid creation process. Students are also taught the formulation of the computational case and basics of postprocessing. This subject will be followed on by course Computational fluid dynamics in the second grade of the second stage of study. Practical exercises are focused on work with Solidworks and ANSYS CFD.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basics of work with ANSYS CFD and Solidworks, coupling between 3D modeling and CFD analysis.
Fluid mechanics, basic CAD skills, work with Windows operating system.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
CENGEL, Y., CIMBALA, J: Fluid Mechanics Fundamentals and Applications, McGraw-Hill, ISBN 978-0-0-07-352926-4 (EN)
SolidWorks. TeacherGuide. Concord: Solid Works Corporation, 2001 (EN)
ANSYS Design Modeler User Guide. Dostupné z : http://www.ansys.com (EN)
ANSYS Mesh User Guide. Dostupné z : http://www.ansys.com (EN)
ANSYS Fluent User Guide. Dostupné z : http://www.ansys.com (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The subject is composed of lectures and exercises. The theoretical parts are explained during lectures (terminology, procedures, approaches). Exercises focus on practical application using appropriate software tools.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Final evalutation is based on project work, which is summarized in form of technical report.
Language of instruction
Introduction to geometrical modeling and computational fluid dynamics, introduction to work with ANSYS CFD.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Exercises are compulsory. Absences in exceptional cases are individually judged by teacher.
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. 3D modelling – approaches, tools, software
2. Data transfer among different CAD and CFD codes
3. Surface modelling
4. Visualization in CAD
5. Specifities of 3D models preparation for CFD
6. Role of preprocessing in computational fluid dynamics
7. Computational grids I
8. Computational grids II
9. Boundary condition types
10. Basic fluid flow models
11. Basics of postprocessing
12. Integration of CAD and CFD
13. Integration of CAD and CFD
seminars in computer labs
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Solidworks – 3D modelling
2. Solidworks – 3D modelling
3. Solidworks – 3D modelling
4. Solidworks – 3D modelling (individual project)
5. ANSYS Workbench, ANSYS DesignModeler –geometry modifications for CFD computations
6. ANSYS DesignModeler - geometry modifications for CFD computations
7. ANSYS Mesh – building computational grids
8. ANSYS Mesh- building computational grids
9. ANSYS Mesh - building computational grids
10. ANSYS Mesh - building computational grids
11. ANSYS Fluent – computational task formulation (basics)
12. ANSYS Fluent - computational task formulation (basics)
13. ANSYS Fluent – postprocessing (basics)