Methods of structure analysis
FCH-MCT_MSAAcad. year: 2018/2019
Overwiev of structural organic analysis. Ultra-violet and infra-red spectroscopy. Nuclear magnetic resonance of 1H and 13C nucleus. Mass spectrometry.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Completion of the courseacquires students with the following skills:
1. Students will be thoroughly familiar with the physical principles of structural analysis methods and with their information abilityin the structural analysis of organic compounds
2. Students will master the procedures of UV-VIS, IR, MS and NMR spectra interpretation for the structural analysis of organic compounds
3. Students will be able to complete the partial information obtained from UV-VIS, IR, MS and NMR spectra in order to identify unknown compounds.
Fundamentals of Organic chemistry I+II, Analytical chemistry II, practice from instrumental analytical chemistry.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Böhm S.: Strukturní analýza organických sloučenin. VŠCHT v Praze, Praha 1995. (CS)
Milata, V., Segľa, P.: Spektrálne metódy v chémii. STU Bratislava, Bratislava 2004. (CS)
E-learning (podklady k přednáškám z předmětu Metody strukturní analýzy). (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course is completed graded credit. The evaluation will be granted on the basis of course credit test based on structure determination of five specified compounds from their UV-VIS, IR, MS, 1H-NMR and 13C-NMR spectra (A: all 5 compounds right; B: One compound erroneously, C: two compounds incorrectly, D: three compounds erroneously, E: four compounds incorrectly, F: all wrong)
Language of instruction
1. Interpretation of UV-VIS spectra.
2. Interpretation of IR spectra.
3. Intepretation of 1D 1H NMR spectra.
4. Interpretation of 1D 13C NMR spectra.
5.-6. 2D NMR and interpretation of 2D NMR spectra..
7. NMR spectra of sselected groups of organic compounds.
8. Interpretation of MS spectra using hard ionization technique.
9. Interpretation of MS spectra using soft ionization technique.
10. Interpretation of high resolution mass spectra.
11.-13. Practical examples of structural analysis based on the interpretation of the spectrum files.
The aim of this subject is:
- Learning of the physical basics of structural-analytical methods (UV-VIS spectrophotometry, infrared spectrometry, mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance)
- Mastering of interpretation of UV-VIS, IR, MS and NMR spectra at the lower intermediate level
- Adopting of combination of information obtained from individual spectra in order to determine the structure of organic compounds.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is not compulsory, but it is recommended.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NKCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NKCO_CHTOZP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme NPCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NPCO_CHTOZP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional