Laboratory Classes in Water Analysis
FCH-BCO_AVO_PAcad. year: 2018/2019
Determination of basic physical and chemical parameters of quality of drinking water, agreement of acquired parameters with valid legislation (pH, organoleptic qualities, basic chemical parameters). Analysis of other types of waters - surface, ground, mineral and waste water. Determination of anorganic and organic substances in waters by the means of basic instrumental methods and portable analytical tools and devices.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After students finished this course, their competence inceased as follows:
1. They have the base practical knowledges in chemistry of water, which can be used for the other objects, e.q. technology of water, special water technology, etc. a
2. Students be able to orient in selected analytical techniques and procedures.
3. Students have practical overview in standard norms in water analysis.
4. They will be able to use of necessary calculations and they will be used evaluation of analytical data from using analysis.
Theoretical and practical knowledge of analytical chemistry.
Knowledge of basic calculations in analytical chemistry.
Knowledge of evaluation and processing of analytical data.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Horáková M. a kol. : Analytika vody, VŠCHT, Praha 2007 (CS)
Pitter, P. : Hydrochemie, VŠCHT, Praha 2009 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Laboratory exercise - 4 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- all laboratory tasks completed, results and reports in good quality
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to practice, safety of work, methodology of work in analytical laboratory.
2. Determination of organoleptic properties in different water types, measurement of physical parameters (pH, conductivity, hardness, alkalinity and acidity).
3. Determination of BOD.
4. Determination of COD (COD Mn, COD Cr).
5. Measurement of absorbance and absorption spectra, measurement of turbidity.
6. Determination of the color of surface water containing humic substances.
7. Spectrophotometric determination of basic cations in water (iron, manganese, aluminum, ammonium ions).
8. Spectrophotometric determination of basic anions in waters (nitrates, nitrates, phosphates, chlorides, fluorides).
9. Determination of alkaline earth metals by emission flame spectrometry.
10. Determination of risk elements in waters.
11. Practical use of screening methods of mobile analytics.
12. Analyze your own unknown sample of drinking or surface water.
The aim of this course is practical provide for students with selected analytical methods, using in practical analysis of real water samples.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Elaboration of the protocols on a given exercises, verification of knowledges during practice, analysis owen sample of water, evaluating the results of the analyzes with respect to the valid legislation.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BKCP_CHCHT Bachelor's
branch BKCO_CHTOZP , 3. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPCP_CHCHT Bachelor's
branch BPCO_CHTOZP , 3. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional