Construction of Medical and Biotechnological Equipment
FCH-BCT_KSAcad. year: 2018/2019
Students will be briefly familiarise with materials used in process of equipment and components constructions in small productions-tonnage chemical, pharmacy, biotechnology and medical industry. The special materials manufacturing will be presented to students, as well as the material characteristics, heat treatment, connection of komponent (welding and threaded joint). The fundamentals of stess and strain calculation in the design of equipment will be presented, qualification process, calculation of wall thickness, principle of maintenance. The special specification of equipment indicated for pharmacy production will be presented.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be oriented in calculation and design of pressure vessels and pipes using the membrain theory, they will have the basic information about special materials for pharmacy and biotchnological industry icluding some material degradation (environment affecting on materials).
Basic knowledge of elasticity and strength, material science, machine components.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Uherek, J.:Biotechnologické linky, VUT Brno FSI, 1988 (CS)
Moláček, M.: Konstrukce zpracovatelských strojů, VUT Brno FSI, 1989 (CS)
Medek, J.: Hydraulické pochody, VUT Brno FSI, 2000 (CS)
Medek, J.: Mechanické pochody, VUT Brno FSI, 1998 (CS)
Lukavský, J.: Konstrukce a stavba aparátů, ČVUT Praha, 1980 (CS)
Bailey, J, Ollis,D.: Biochemical engineering fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1977 (CS)
Street, L. J.: Introduction to biomedical engineering technology, CRC, London : Taylor & Francis, 2008, ISBN: 0849385334 (CS)
Johnson, A. T.: Biology for engineers. CRC Press, c2011, ISBN: 978-1-4200-7763-6 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Marked credits are awarded on the basis of written essay (including simple design calculation of wall thiskness) and oral discussion (colloquium)
Language of instruction
1. History of pressure vessels and apparatuses, contemporary examples. Basic technological types (vessels, apparatuses, reactors, pipelines, armatures).
2. Technical requirements on constructions – standards (selection of materials, technical, operating, safety, and reliability factors).
3. Design of technological apparatuses, basic principles (technological, strength, economical, and lifespan factors).
4. Selection of material for production units, corrosion protection and surface treatment. Production of metallurgical material, standards for its assortment.
5. Destructive material testing.
6. Overview of materials connecting (welding, pressing, screwed joints and their sealing). Welding methods, welds marking on drawings. Legislative demands on tightness.
7. Overview of weld defects. Forms of crack formation (hot, cold, lamellar, annealing). Testing of weld joints.
8. Design of wall thickness for pipelines, vessels and apparatuses under inner or external overpressure, own weight, and vibrations.
9. Degradation mechanisms on equipment (material fatigue, effect of increased
10. Evaluation of lifetime of production equipment on the basis of their design and construction, production method, degradation mechanisms and loading history.
11. Reliability of equipment, assessment of risk of failure and accident.
12. Non-destructive tests in production and during equipment operation (visual, ultrasound, radiation, capillary).
13. Operating of technological systems (control, maintenance, tests, monitoring, qualification, legislative requirements).
The aim is to explain problems of design and construction of pressure tanks and vessels and to teach practical applications. Explanation of differences in construction of processing lines and standard constructions, especially from the point of view of safety.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer