Seminar of Physics
FEKT-BKC-FYSAcad. year: 2018/2019
The subject deals with revision of basis of particle mechanics which are subsequently used in study of forces acting in electric and magnetic fields. The main part of subject is devoted to electric and magnetic fields and comparison of secondary school approach with that of the course Physics 1.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduates in the subject know
basic principles and laws of mechanics, electricity and magnetism on secondary school level.
Graduates in the subject are able to
explain basic principles and laws of mechanics, electricity and magnetism,
describe how the subject Physics 1 extends the secondary school knowledge,
apply basic laws of mechanics to simple motion of particles,
apply laws of electricity and magnetism in simple electric circuits.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Hradilová, E.; Uhdeová, N.: Fyzikální seminář, E-text, eLearning. (CS)
Hradilová, E.; Uhdeová, N.: FYZIKA - přijímací zkoušky, VUT v Brně, Brno 2011, 2016 (CS)
Svoboda, E.: Přehled středoškolské fyziky, PROMETHEUS Praha 1998 (CS)
Halliday, D.; Resnick, R.; Walker J.: Fyzika. Vysoké učení technické v Brně Vutium, Prometheus Praha, 2000, 2003, 2006 (CS)
Halliday, D.; Resnick, R.; Walker J.: Fyzika. Vysoké učení technické v Brně Vutium, Brno, 2014, Překlad 8. orig. vydání. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Course is teaching by means seninar excercises. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
For the course-unit credit it is necessary to elaborate final report.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction. Physical quantities. SI units. Introduction to vector algebra.
2. Kinematics; velocity, acceleration, rectilinear motion, curvilinear motions.
3.-4. Momentum, force, Newton`s laws of motion,.
5. Dynamics 2; Impulse of force, work, energy, power, efficiency. Torque.
6.-7. Electricity 1; Electric charge. Coulomb`s law, Electric fields, electric field intensity. Gauss’ law.
8. Electricity 2; Electric potential and voltage. Capacitance, capacitors in parallel and in series. Electric current, electric resistance, resistors in parallel and in series.
9.-10. Magnetism 1; Origin of magnetic field, comparison with origin of electric field, magnetic field induction.
11.-12. Magnetism 2; Magnetic field of due to a current, magnetic force on a charged particle, magnetic force on a current-carrying wire. Electromagnetic induction.
13. Final test, revision.
The goal of the course is to supplement and to extend secondary school knowledge of physics necessary for study of the course Physics 1. The subject has supplementary features. Contents of seminars correspond to the lectures of Physics 1. It will help graduates of practical secondary schools to understand more difficult parts of this subject.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The attendance in seminars is controlled. The forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year. 25% absence is tolerated.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BKC-EKT Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, optional
- Programme BKC-MET Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BKC-SEE Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BKC-TLI Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, optional
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional