Diagnostic Methods and Testing
FEKT-BPC-DIZAcad. year: 2018/2019
Fundamental concepts and methods in diagnostics. Electrical, mechanical testing of materials and devices. Tests of climatic resistance. Destructive and non destructive testing. Microscopic, spectroscopic and diffractometry methods - principles and usage. Evaluation and verification of diagnostics analyses. Diagnostics and testing. Principles and organization of testing stations in Czech Rep., testing in laws of Czech Rep.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- explain basic terms and methods in the field of diagnostics of electrical materials and equipments,
- be knowledgeable in basic physical methods for determination of structure and composition of diagnostic materials,
- describe principles and organization of testing in Czech republic,
- describe electrical and mechanical tests of materials and electrical equipments, electrical safety tests and tests of climate resistance,
- choose and apply suitable diagnostics method in practice.
Knowledge of physics and mathematics on the secondary level of education.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Jirák, J., Havlíček, S., Rozsívalová, Z.: Diagnostika a zkušebnictví. Elektronické texty, Brno 2002. (CS)
Frank,L.,Král,J.: Metody analýzy povrchů. Iontové, sondové a speciální metody. Academia, Praha, 2002 (CS)
Connor,D.J., Sexton,B.A., Smart,R.C.: Surface analysis methods in materials science, Springer Verlag Berlin, 2003 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, numerical exercises and practical laboratories. Students have to write a single project during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 40 points during the semester (20 points from laboratory seminars and 20 points from individual work and its presentation)
up to 60 points from written final exam
Final exam is focused on verification of knowledge and orientation in the field of diagnostics methods and organization of testing.
Language of instruction
1. Fundamental concepts of technical diagnostics, survey of methods. Technical diagnostics in practice. Selection of a method of technical diagnostics. Testing, organization of testing and certification in the Czech Republic and the EU.
2. Electrical measuring methods in diagnostics of semiconductor materials and structures. Methods for setting of concentration and concentration profiles of dopants.
3. DC and AC measuring methods in diagnostics of insulator systems. HV tests, evaluation of tests.
4. Electrical Safety Tests. Testing of climatic and mechanical resistance of electrical objects and equipment.
5. Mechanical properties tests - overview of tests. Hardness tests.
6. Overview of methods of optical microscopy, lenses and their properties, illumination methods and image formation in the optical microscope, microscope characteristics.
7. Raster and transmission electron microscopy, electron sources, electromagnetic lens defects, low energy and low vacuum scanning electron microscopy.
8. Raster electron microscopy, accelerated electron interaction with solid, detection of signals emitted from the sample, contrast types, EBIC method.
9. Microscopy rastrujícím point, the basic concepts and principles of scanning tunneling microscopy, atomic force microscopy, methods of observation samples, other methods of microscopy rastrujícím tip.
10. Difractometric methods. X-ray, electron and neutron diffractography.
11. Powder X-ray diffraction spectroscopy and its applications for the characterization of crystalline materials.
12. Spectroscopic methods, basic concepts, excitation spectra principle, spectroscopic methods, X-ray spectral microanalysis.
13. Processing of measurement results. Measurement errors, precision indicators, measurement uncertainty.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with basic concepts and methods from the field of diagnostic of electrical materials and devices, with principles and organization of testing stations in Czech Rep. Students will be familiar with electrical and mechanical tests, safety tests and tests of climatic resistance. Students will receive essential information about physical methods for evaluation of a structure and composition of observed subjects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Obligatory participation in excercises.