Traffic Engineering (DST)
FAST-CM057Acad. year: 2017/2018
Basic theory of traffic flow, capacity calculations of road sections and crossroads, Theory of traffic control on signalized crossings, szstem of traffic organization in towns and cities.
Use of new control technologies for capacity raise and traffic monitoring.
Data collection and data processing in traffic flow and in public transport.
Basis of microscopic and macroscopic traffic flow model.
Modelling of different types of crossings in standard programs.
Institute of Road Structures (PKO)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students understand principles of traffic flow phenomena, and they get knowledge of traffic engineering methods. They are able to collect traffic data, process and analyze them. They know capacity calculations, forecasting, traffic control and organisation.
Text processing, spreadsheets, elementary knowledge of CAD, mathematics, physics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to traffic engineering, traffic engineering branches.
2. Transportation systems categories.
3. Traffic flow theory.
4. Capacity calculations - free highway segment.
5. Capacity calculations - uncontrolled intersections.
6. Capacity calculations - roundabouts.
7. Capacity calculations - Traffic light controlled intersections.
8. Traffic data collection systems.
9. Traffic studies - individual vehicle transport.
10. Traffic studies - public transport.
11. Mathematical transport models - individual vehicle transport.
12. Mathematical transport models - public transport.
13. Traffic forecasting systems,traffic control and organisation.
Principles of traffic engineering, traffic flow theory, traffic data collection and processing, capacity calculations, forecasting, traffic control and organisation.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans