Sediments in Rivers
FAST-CR052Acad. year: 2017/2018
Explanation of the processes associated with the development of rivers and reservoirs.
Presentation of the prediction capabilities of rivers and reservoirs.
Introduction to the measures affecting development of rivers and reservoirs.
Institute of Water Structures (VST-VST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge in following areas:
- informacion of Bankerosion of reservoir,
- specification of factors causing generation,
- propagation of scouring,
- detailed analysis and process of determination of these factors.
Hydraulics, hydrology, soil mechanics, river regulations and weirs, open channel hydraulics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic concepts and division.
2. Grain properties, grain size composition in channel.
3. Incipient of grain motion, stability of channel bed and banks, erosion.
4. Sedimentation, sedimentation regimes, influencing factors.
5. Bed load.
6. Suspended load.
7. Measurement of sediment transport.
8. Sediment transport through weirs and drop structures. Methods for regulation of sediment transport.
9. Numerical modelling of sediment transport and channel development.
10. Physical modelling of sediment transport and channel development.
11. Reservoir sedimentation, sediment transport through reservoirs, channel development after dam removal.
12. Stability of reservoir banks.
13. Case studies.
Informacion of Bankerosion of reservoir.
Riparian zone reconstruction to minimize uncontrolled scouring propagation.Specification of factors causing generation and propagation of scouring, detailed analysis and process of determination of these factors.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans