Geographical Information Systems I
FAST-GE27Acad. year: 2017/2018
Geographic information system (GIS), history, purpose, function and structure, the relationship of GIS and CAD, geographic (topographic) object, data models in GIS, raster, vector, matrix data,
digital terrain model, data sources for GIS, web map services, map algebra, spatial analysis, GIS systems in present, perspectives for further development of GIS
Institute of Geodesy (GED)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Mathematics, computer science, cartography.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
Lectures (after weeks - 1 hour per week)
1 to 2 Definition of GIS, history, development, interdisciplinary relationships.
3 to 4 Data models in GIS, raster, vector, matrix data, mobile GIS.
5 to 6 Digital terrain model (basic information)
7 to 8 Data Sources for GIS in the Czech Republic and abroad, online GIS, web mapping services.
9 to 10 Map algebra, spatial analysis (overview)
11 to 12 Overview and characteristics of current GIS, prospects of further development of GIS
Schedule of exercises
1. Introduction, issues, requirements. Acquisition of field data, the use of GNSS methods
2. Acquisition of field data, the use of GNSS methods - complete
3. Product Overview Arc / Info, work with ArcCatalog
4. Basics ArcGIS
5. Data input to ArcGIS (excel, text file), work with layers, web map services
6. Transformation of raster and vector editing, vectorization
7. Work with GIS databases, creating tables
8. Linking tables, spatial queries in ArcGIS
9. Working with map algebra, calculations
10. Simple spatial analysis (adjacency, overlap)
11. Creating outputs, web mapping services, presentations ArcGlobe
12. Showcase of projects in MISYS and GVIEW application
13. Final test
Understanding information systems and databases linked to territorial identification. The ability to create a simple GIS project.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.