Basics of Computer Science
FAST-GU01Acad. year: 2017/2018
Computer principles - basic computer components, cooperation of processor with memory and peripheral devices,
peripheral device controllers, I/O ports, interrupts, DMA, standard computer interface.
Operating system, its meaning, structure and classification.
The main tasks of the operating system - managing of processes, memory and files, using OS.
Computer networks, Internet - principles, network protocols and services.
Fundamentals of relational databases.
Fundamentals of Computer Graphics.
Fundamentals of typography, document processing.
Advanced engineering problems in MS Excel.
Institute of Computer Aided Engineering and Computer Science (AIU)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic knowledge of Computer Science in the following topics:
Principles of Computer hardware
Architecture of operating systems
Principles of computer networks
Basics of database technology
Principles of computer graphics
Basics of desktop publishing and computer typography
Working knowledge of using spreadsheets in engineering calculation
Basics of Computer Science within the scope of secondary school
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Milenkovic, M.: Operating Systems: Concepts and Design, Second Edition. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1992.
DODGE, M., DOUGLAS, C.S.: Mistrovství v Microsoft Excel 2010. COMPUTER PRESS, 2011. (CS)
DEMBOWSKI, K.: Mistrovství v HARDWARE. COMPUTER PRESS, 2009. (CS)
NOVOTNÁ, H. a kol.: Základy informatiky. FAST VUT Brno, elektronické studijní opory, 2009. (CS)
DRÁB, M.: Jádro systému Windows. COMPUTER PRESS, 2011. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Processor and memory, memory structure, data representation, the instruction set.
2. Processor registers, memory bus, classification of instructions.
3. Principles of cooperation with peripheral devices, I/O controllers, ports, interrupts, DMA. The concept of the program and subroutine, stack, file system.
4. Operating systems, importance and classification. The main tasks of the OS, process management, memory management, management of peripheral devices.
5. The main principles and trends in MS Windows and Unix-like systems, file system access, user interface.
6. Fundamentals of the Internet and its services. Solutions of computer security.
7. Computer graphic, representation of the color, palette. Formats of raster graphics data.
8. Vector graphics formats. Graphic primitives, basic graphic simulation technology.
9. Fundamentals of computer typography, fonts, typography measures, page format and publishing, basic programs for word processing, page description languages.
10. Important principles of using MS Word - document organization, styles, templates, embedded objects management, object references.
11. Fundamentals of mass data processing. Data models, primary and foreign keys, data integrity, business rules and constraints, query languages.
12. Overview of the database tools and SQL.
13. Resources for working with database in MS Excel.
Basics theoretical knowledges of computer science necessary for the whole study of civil engineering. Mastering of spreadsheets for engineering calculus.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-K-C-GK Bachelor's
branch G , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-P-C-GK Bachelor's
- Programme B-K-C-GK Bachelor's
branch GI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory