Engineering Geodesy I
FAST-GE16Acad. year: 2017/2018
Basic terms of engineering geodesy. Fundamentals of setting out accuracy analyses. Setting out control networks. Setting out of angles and distances. Basic methods of horizontal setting out (polar point, intersection, arc section, free stationing). Setting out of buildings, roads, and railways. Geodetic part of building documentation. Check surveys. Deformation measurements.
Institute of Geodesy (GED)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student gets acquainted with fundamental principles and problems of engineering geodesy, masters the methodology for setting out accuracy analysis of basic geometrical quantities, and gets knowledge of geodetic works for single specializations of civil engineering.
Fundamental knowledge of methods of mathematical analysis. Orientation in principles of theory of errors.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Richardus, P.: Project Surveying. A.A.Balkema Rotterdam, 1984. (EN)
Michalčák, O. a kol.: Inžinierska geodézia I. Alfa Bratislava, 1985. (SK)
Michalčák, O. a kol.: Inžinierska geodézia II. Alfa Bratislava, 1990. (SK)
Švábenský O., Vitula A., Bureš J.: Inženýrská geodézie I. M02 Geodézie ve stavebnictví. studijní opora VUT Brno, 2006. (CS)
Švábenský O., Vitula A., Bureš J.: Inženýrská geodézie I. M01 Základy inženýrské geodézie. studijní opora VUT Brno, 2006. (CS)
Švábenský O., Vitula A., Bureš J.: Inženýrská geodézie I. M03 Návody ke cvičením. studijní opora VUT Brno, 2006. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, basic terms, model of measurement, theory of accuracy analysis.
2. Methodology of accuracy analysis of angle and distance measurement and setting out.
3. Methodology of accuracy analysis of heights measurement and setting out. Horizontal and plumb line setting out of .
4. Accuracy analyses and procedures of basic methods of horizontal position setting out.
5. Accuracy analyses and procedures of other methods of horizontal position setting out.
6. Basic terms of geodesy for construction. Setting out and check surveying of structures. Legal prescriptions and standards. Setting out drawings.
7. Division of geodetic works between the construction participants. Primary systems of structures. Setting out of secondary systems of building objects.
8. Geodesy for building construction. Detail setting out for main construction technologies.
9. Geodesy for road and railway construction. Basic terminology. Geodetic works in preparation and designing of transportation structures.
10. Setting out of roads and railways. Setting out of arcs and transition curves. Longitudinal and transversal profile.
11. Setting out and measurement of underground structures.
12. Deformation measurements of structures. Measurement methods of vertical and horizontal deformations.
13. Progressive measuring technologies in engineerin geodesy. Satellite methods. Laser scanning.
Acquaintance with fundamental principles and problems of engineering geodesy. Knowledge of methodology for setting out accuracy analysis of basic geometrical quantities. Acquaintance with geodetic works for single specializations of civil engineering.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-P-C-GK Bachelor's
branch G , 3. year of study, winter semester, 8 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-K-C-GK Bachelor's
- Programme B-P-C-GK Bachelor's
branch GI , 3. year of study, winter semester, 8 credits, compulsory