FSI-0HZAcad. year: 2017/2018
The graduate will learn the basics of the classification of small arms and ammunition, their design, operation and their characteristic versions. Moreover, the graduate gets acquainted with basic types of small arms sights, as well as with the rules for their safe use.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject of Barrel Weapons enables the graduates to acquire basic knowledge from the areas of ballistics, design, operation and characteristics of pistols, revolvers, rifles, their ammunition and sights.
General mechanical engineering knowledge.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Jankových, R. Hlavňové zbraně a střelivo. Brno: VUT, FS 2012 (E-Skriptum). ISBN 978-80-260-2384-5. (CS)
Popelínský, L. a Tesař, F. Československé a české malorážové zbraně a jejich život. Brno : Lynx, 2010. 176 s. ISBN 978-80-86787-46-6 (CS)
Fišer, M. Konstrukce loveckých, sportovních a obranných zbraní. Ostrava: Vysoká škola báňská – Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2009, ISBN 978-80-248-1021-8. (CS)
Dyckmans, G. Fundamentals of Ballistics (E-book). http://e-ballistics.com/ (EN)
Hýkel, J. a Malimánek, V. Náboje do ručních palných zbraní. 2. Vyd. Praha: Naše vojsko, 2003. 547 s. ISBN 80-206-0641-6 (CS)
Beer, S., Plíhal, B., Vítek, R. a Jedlička, L. Vnitřní balistika loveckých, sportovních a obranných zbraní. Ostrava: Vysoká škola báňská – Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2006, ISBN 80-248-1022-0. (CS)
Juříček, L. a kol. Ranivá Balistika. Ostrava: KEY Publishing s.r.o., 2017, ISBN 978-80-7418-274-7. (CS)
Kadaňka, V. Vnitřní balistika hlavňových zbraní. Praha: Naše vojsko, 1985, 28-123-85. (CS)
Jirsák, Č. a Kodym, P. Vnější balistika a teorie střelby. Praha: Naše vojsko, 984, 28-121-84. (CS)
Allsop, D. and all. Brassey's Essential Guide to Military Small Arms. London: BRASSE'S 1997. ISBN 1-85753-107-8. (CS)
Popelínský, L. Můj život mezi zbraněmi. Praha: Mlada fronta, 2016. 191 s. ISBN 978-80-204-3578-7 (CS)
Ženíšek, J. a Jenkut, M. Výrobní stroje a zařízení. 2. vyd. Praha: SNTL, 1990. 276 s. ISBN 04-222-90 (CS)
MONTGOMERY, D. C. Introduction to Statistical Quality Control, Sixth Edition. Jefferson City: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2009. ISBN 978-0-470-16992-6. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit is awarded on the basis of test (50 %) and semester work (50 %). It is graded on the ECTS grading scale.
Language of instruction
The graduate is acquainted with fundamentals in the branch of ballistics, design and operation of small arms and their ammunition. He/she also knows the basics about current production of the main types of long and short guns and their ammunition both in the Czech Republic and in other countries.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is not obligatory, yet recommended. Seminars are obligatory. Graded course-unit credit is awarded on the basis of test and semester work. Absence on seminars must be excused and can be substituted for by presentation of a report.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BO1-P Bachelor's
branch B-OBN , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, optional (voluntary)
- Programme B3S-P Bachelor's
- Programme MO1-P Master's
branch M-OBN , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, optional (voluntary)
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Principles of the design of barrel weapons – general classification of barrel weapons, small arms
2. Main parts and mechanisms of small arms, basic terminology
3. Small arms classification, general principles of their usage
4. Shot from a small arm and its characteristics, basic issues of interior ballistics of firearms, cartridge – its design and operation, projectiles and explosives in firearms cartridges, definition of basic interior ballistics terms
5. Small arms operation cycle, semi-automatic pistol – design and operation, pistol functional diagram and kinematics – geometric diagram (cyclograph)
6. Small arms barrels, common requirements on barrels design, barrel bore arrangement
7. Breech systems of small arms - single shot and bolt-action breeches, breeches of self-loading and automatic weapons, breech closures of small arms
8. Mechanisms and systems used in small arms – feed mechanisms, bolt holding mechanisms, extractors and ejectors, firing and trigger mechanisms, safety arrangements
9. Aiming of small arms – principle of aiming, iron sights and optical sights, night vision sights
10. Basic principles of intermediate (transitional) and external ballistics of firearms, gun muzzle flash, blast and smoke, electromagnetic radiation, muzzle and initial velocity of projectile, motion of projectile in the atmosphere
11. Basic principles of terminal ballistics, fragmentation, penetration, perforation, shape charge and wound effects of projectiles specification, basic methods for fire accuracy evaluation.
12. Guns and ammunition policy in the Czech legal system, categories of guns and ammunition
13. Gun licence for personal use and gun licence for business, categories of gun licences, qualification exam.
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Opening tutorial with weapons and ammunition. Educational excursion in a commercial shooting range, demonstration of small weapons and gunshot
2. Work safety training, practical training in safe handling of weapons and ammunition; assignment of semestral projects
3. Practical exercise with small weapons
4. Practical exercise with small weapons and ammunition
5. Practical exercise in internal ballistics (measurements in ballistic laboratory)
6. Practical exercise in weapon production, barrel production
7. Practical exercise in weapon production, production of breeches
8. Practical exercise in weapon production, production of weapon parts, mounting arms (themes 6 – 8 are joint in a one-day excursion to weapon factory)
9. Practical exercise in ammunition production, production of cartridge cases
10. Practical exercise in ammunition production, production of projectiles
11. Practical exercise in ammunition production, production of cartridges (themes 9 – 11 are joint in a one-day excursion to weapon factory)
12. Practical exercise in pistol shooting (at a commercial shooting range)
13. Credit test, submitting semestral projects and awarding credits
eLearning: currently opened course