Fundamentals of Design
FSI-YDFAcad. year: 2017/2018
Introduction to the theory of industrial design. Summary of Czech design personalities and familiarization with method of designers work. Finishing of this course is a prerequisite for admission to study Industrial Design.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Acquiring methods of design work. Basic orientation in the field of industrial design.
Work in studio assumes knowledge of basic art techniques - pencil, pastels, watercolors.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BRAMSTON, David. Basics Product Design 01: Idea Searching. AVA Publishing, 2008. ISBN 9782940373765.
HUDSON, Jennifer. 1000 New Designs 2 and Where to Find Them. Laurence King, 2010. ISBN 978 1 85669 643 2.
HAUFFE, Thomas. Design. Köln: Du Mont, 2002. ISBN 3770133889.
MILTON, Alex a Paul RODGERS. Product Design. Laurence King, 2011. ISBN 9781856697514.
HUDSON, Jennifer. Process: 50 Product Designs from Concept to Manufacture. 2. Laurence King, 2011. ISBN 9781856697255.
MILTON, Alex a Paul RODGERS. Research Methods for Product Design. 2. Laurence King, 2013. ISBN 9781780673028.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by creative work in ateliers, which is focused on practical cognition of methods of designer's work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit requirements: attendance in lessons, meeting assigned projects deadlines in a sufficient quality. The quality of the output and the attendance to the course will be taken in account when evaluating the talent examination to the Industrial Design branch.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to explain basic design principles, methods of design work, learn about aspects and scope of industrial design and verify knowledge in the field of imaging objects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Recommended attendance at lectures, compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Absolving the course (Graded course-unit credit) is one of the requirements for acceptance to the Industrial Design in Machinery branch.
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to the design education at the FME;
2. Term "design", industrial design, basic terms of the theory of design, branches of design, definition of design;
3. Philosophies of design 1-15;
4. Philosophies of design 16-30;
5. Functions of design - technical, ergonomic, aesthetic, physic, social, economical and psychological;
6. Organizations of design, design schooling;
7. Design competitions, excellent product of year;
8. Aspects of designer’s work, industrial designer, professional behaviour of designers, interdisciplinary and team work;
9. Methods of design work - design analysis, procedure of work on design , design project – from idea to prototype (sketch, drawing, modelling, draft, treatment on computer;
10. Views on design – Czech designers, examples of design 1;
11. Views on design – Czech designers, examples of design 2;
12. Design-management - importance of design for marketing and management;
13. Information about the Industrial Design studies in the 2nd and the 3rd years of study.
labs and studios
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to the workshops - basic principles of industrial design;
2. Stomachion, compilation of figure motive from dedicated faces;
3. Continuation of working on the task Stomachion;
4. Geometric composition, creating an object assembled from basic geometric objects according to the particular assignment;
5. Consultation and evaluation of task geometric composition;
6. Monogram, creating a graphic logo from initials of student;
7. Monogram, logo portrayed in perspective;
8. Evaluation of task Monogram;
9. Design of machine exercise, practical explanation of methods of design work;
10. Consultations of design and informations about talent exam;
11. Finishing and handing over the tasks;
12. Talent exam;
13. Evaluation of tasks and subject.
eLearning: currently opened course