Modeling and Simulation
FSI-RDOAcad. year: 2017/2018
This module deals with modelling of dynamic system on computer. Systems are described by ordinary differential equations, differential-algebraic equations or e.g. by state automata. MATLAB and Simulink are used as main tools including their advanced functions and features. Theoretical findings are demonstrated on real educational models controlled from Simulink using I/O card MF624.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students gain knowledge about
• linear systems and its analysis
• modelling in MATLAB/Simulink
• modelling of control systems
• practical experience with control of real system using I/O card from Simulink.
Vectors and matrixes. ODEs. Mathematics and physics in the scope of previous study. Basic knowledge of programming in MATLAB.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Valášek M. a kol.: Mechatronika, Vydavatelství ČVUT Praha, 1995
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures, exercises, labs, individual students work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Module is graded according to:
• active participation on exercises/labs
Language of instruction
Students will learn about modelling of dynamic systems (mechanical, electromechanical, control) on computer.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at practical training is obligatory. Evaluation are made on exercises based on evaluation criteria.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, motivation, examples
2. Dynamic system with continuous time
3. Solution of ODE in Matlab
4. Solution of ODE in Simulinku
5. Application of Maple for equation building
6. Dynamic systems with discrete time
7. Impact, friction and contact modeling in MBS
9. State space models of linear systems
10. Control of linearized mechanical systems
11. Verification of nonlinear plant model with linear control
12. Stability of linear systems
13. Presentation of semestral project results
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to Matlab and Simulink
2.-3. Modelling of linear oscilator
4.-6. Work on semestral project, tutorial