Energy use of Biomass and Waste
FSI-IKBAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course is aimed with combustion technologies for wood and other biomass and waste. The course is an overview of the possible fuels, its features and capabilities available, then the theory of combustion of biomass in boilers, and an overview of the distribution of combustion appliances (fireplaces, small iron and steel boilers, boiler zplyňovací, slatted boilers, fluidized bed boilers) and the issue of co-firing of biomass with coal. Last but not least, the subject deals with the operation and economics of biomass burning. In the area of waste is the emphasis on the characteristics of waste and its treatment.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Attendats will get knowledge about theory, design and operation of boilers for biomass and waste combustion. These expierences can be applied in in industrial enterprises, investment, operation and in public administration.
Knowledges from physiscs, hydromechanics and thermomechanics
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
TRÁVNÍČEK, Petr. Technologie zpracování biomasy za účelem energetického využití. Brno: Mendelova univerzita v Brně, 2015. ISBN 978-80-7509-206-9.
Noskievič P.:Biomasa a její energetické využití,VŠB tu Ostrava r.1996,ISBN 80-7078-367-2
Jandačka, J., Malcho, M., Mikulík,M.:Technológie pre prípravu a energetické využitie biomasy, ISBN 978-80-969595-3-2
Mahallawy F.,Habik E.: Fundametals and technology of combustion,Elsevier 2002,ISBN 0-08-04--4106-8
ČSN EN 303-5
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The credit condition is attendance at seminars and submitting the protocol of measurement. The test is a written and oral. Written section contains 3 questions, the oral one question.
Language of instruction
Aim is to teach students to apply gained knowledges in creativ ways in industry and organisations dealing with biomass and waste utilization.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Presentation at seminars to be held by seminar instructor. Seminars are obligatory. Unexcused absents to be compensated after agreement with instructor.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The types of biomass, the basic distribution, the importance of biomass in the regions
2. Properties of biomass fuel treatment, storage
3. Biomass boilers - distribution, slatted boilers for biomass
Fluid fourth biomass boiler, a boiler other higher power co
5. Emissions from the combustion of biomass
6. Biomass Gasification - principles, technologies, applications
7. Basic mechanisms of biogas
8. The device biogas
9. Species waste and its properties
10. Device waste treatment, combustion, emissions
11. Application of treatment and waste incineration, more energy use, sludge
12. Operation of resources to waste and biomass - operating experience problems
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to basic procedures for measuring biomass boilers
2. ČSN EN 303-5
3. Implementation of laboratory tasks - efficiency fireplace inserts
4. Implementation of laboratory tasks - boiler efficiency
5. Performance of laboratory works - boiler efficiency
eLearning: currently opened course