Special Welding Technology
FSI-HSVAcad. year: 2017/2018
The special methods of fusion welding. The course deals with the technology of welding by high-power sources such as plasma, electron-beam and laser applications. It familiarises students with technological methods of thermal spraying and their industrial application. Special welding methods, stud welding. The special methods of pressure welding. Friction welding, explosion welding and diffusion welding. Welded structures and introduction to the quality assurance of welded structures by EN. Tasks and responsibility of the welding personnel according to the ČSN and EU standards.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire knowledge of unconventional types of modern welding technologies, and will be able to apply these technologies to particular examples of special welding. They will be able to independently and creatively work on a welding procedure.
Students are expected to be familiar with the fundamentals of fusion and pressure welding technology, as well as with science of materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
1. TURŇA, M. Špeciálne metódy zvárania. 1.vyd. Bratislava: Alfa. 1989. 384 s. ISBN 80-05-00097-9
Žák,J.,Novák,M.: Teorie svařování, , 0
Turňa,M.: Špec.metody zvárania, , 0
2. Kolektiv autorů. Technologie svařování a zařízení. 1.vyd. Ostrava: Zeross. 2001. 396 s. ISBN 80-85771-81-0
Dubenský,J.: Speciální technologie, , 0
1. Kolektiv autorů. ASM Handbook. Welding, Brazing and Soldering. Vol 6. 6.vyd. ASM International. 2003. 1300 s. ISBN 0-87170-382-3
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on condition of having delivered written reports from exercises, and worked out the assigned reports during the semester. Examination: the exam has a written and an oral part and tests student´s knowledge acquired in the lectures and exercises.
Language of instruction
The main objective of the course is to provide students with the theoretical foundations and methodology necessary for solving technologies of problems relating to the application of special welding technologies. Students will acquire knowledge necessary for a complex solution of special welding technology application.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at exercises is compulsory. Absence may be compensated for by the agreement with the teacher who can set a special programme to be worked out.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Significance, advantages, and disadvantages of special welding methods
2. Plasma welding, technical application, plasma - MIG
3. Electron beam welding, technical application
4. Laser welding, technical application
5. Thermal spraying technology
6. Stud welding
7. Plastics welding
8. Steel construction welding
9. Standard EN 719 and 729
10. ČSN EN 1011-2, Arc welding of ferrite steels
11. ČSN EN ISO 6520-1, Classification of geometric imperfections in metallic materials
12. Welding procedure specification - WPS
13. Directives governing the quality levels for imperfections. Certifications, inspections.
labs and studios
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Analysis of details concerning the topics of diploma theses.
2. Practical realisation of thermal spraying technology
3. Excursion in a workplace with plasma welding and cutting
4. Calculations with welding electron beam and laser
5. Excursion in a thermal spraying workplace
6. Excursion in a manufacture Siemens - production of a steam turbine
7. Standards ČSN applicable to welding constructions
8. Categories of higher welding personnel (WE,WT and WS)
9. Analysis of EN 719,729
10. Calculations according to ČSN EN 1011-2, Arc welding of ferrite steels
11. Practising with the use of ČSN EN ISO 6520-1, Classification of geometric imperfections in metallic materials
12. Practising of generation of welding proceeding
13. Course-unit credits awarding.