Hydraulic Gears of Machines
FSI-FHPAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course deals with the following topics – Hydrostatic transmissions: elements of hydrostatic mechanisms - converters, elements for pressure regulation, elements for flow regulation, elements for flow direction regulation, auxiliary elements, proportional elements. Calculation of hydrostatic circuits, starting and braking, thermal balance. Hydrostatic circuits of working machines. Hydrodynamic transmissions: hydrodynamic couplings and hydraulic torque converters.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be acquire knowledge of designing and construction especially of mobile machines from the selected field. They will widen and deepen their knowledge of design of regulative hydrostatic circuit – with respect to the latest development trends.
Successful completion of the course is conditional on the basic knowledge of technical mechanics, physics, machine parts and their mechanisms, physics of materials and principles of electrical engineering.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠKOPÁN, M.: Hydraulické převody strojů. Elektronická verze, VUT Brno 2009 (CS)
Pavlok, B. – Hružík, L. – Bova, M.: Hydraulická zařízení strojů. VŠB – Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2007, 123 s. (CS)
Majmudar, R.S.: Oil Hydraulics Systems, McGraw-Hill 2003, ISBN 0-07-140669-7 (EN)
SUBRAMANYA, K. 1000 solved problems in fluid mechanics (includes hydraulic machines). New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill, 2005, ix, 456 s. : il. ISBN 978-0-07-014476-7. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work. Part of the course can be excursions to the companies, which manufacture or operate the equipments from the thematic area of education.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The examination consists of a written and an oral part. Written part of examination is evaluated by 50 points and it is necessary to get at least 20 points to continue in the oral part. Oral examination is marked independently and it is the same weight at the written part.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to widen and deepen students’ knowledge of machine parts and mechanisms and hydraulic machines with respect to the transport technology.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Course-unit credit is awarded on condition of having attended the seminars actively and completed all tasks and fulfillment of credit of exercise test conditions. Presence in the exercises is obligatory.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Theory of hydrostatic mechanisms, continuity equation, Bernoulli’s relation
2. Hydraulic resistances in the hydrostatic mechanisms
3. Transmission of pressure energy in the hydrostatic mechanisms – resistances H, R, D
4. Switching-in resistances of the same and different type, resistance network
5. Starting and braking hydrostatic mechanisms, heat calculation of hydrostatic circuits
6. Components of hydrostatic mechanism – converters and their parameters
7. Hydraulic generators – construction, characteristic curves, circuits
8. Rotary and rectilinear hydraulic motors – construction, characteristic curves, connection in circuit
9. Elements for pressure, direction and rate of flow control
10. Proportional elements, auxiliary elements
11. The ground of hydrostatic mechanisms design
12. Hydrostatic propulsive circuits of mobile working machines
13. Hydrodynamic couplings and hydraulic torque converters
7 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Fluids of hydrostatic circuits and their properties
2. – 3. Hydraulic loss in hydrostatic mechanisms
4. Calculation of resistances across movement, acceleration, deformation
5. – 6. Calculation of starting and braking hydrostatic mechanisms
7. Heat calculation of hydrostatic mechanisms
labs and studios
6 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
8. – 9. Construction and maintenance of main elements of hydrostatic circuits
10. – 11. Drawing up a hydraulic generator characteristic curve
12. – 13. Control of hydraulic motors speed in open hydraulic circuits