FCH-BCO_AVOAcad. year: 2017/2018
Types of water and their characterization, system of standard methods for water examination, water sample collection and preparation, basic physical and chemical analysis of water, determination of pH, conductance, BOD, COD, alkalinity, acidity, determination of dissolved, undissolved and extractable substances, organoleptic characterization of water, determination of anorganic compounds in water - Ca, Mg, Na, K, nitrogen bearing compounds, compounds with sulphur, halogenides, Fe, Mn, Al, determination of heavy and the other metals, B, Si, P, determinatin of organic components of water, petroleum-derived compounds, lower fatty acids, phenols, polyaromatic hydrocarbons, halogenated hydrocarbons and humic acids.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After students finished this course, their competence inceased as follows:
1. They obtain overview of basic knowledge of water sampling and treatment of water samples.
2. Students have overview in standard norms in water analysis.
3. They achieved of knowledges of chemical methods using in analysis of anorganic and organic components of water.
Basic knowledge of analytical and physical chemistry.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Horáková M. a kol., Analytika vody, VSCHT Praha, 2007 (CS)
Pitter P.: Hydrochemie. VŠCHT Praha, 2009 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit by course test.
Language of instruction
2. Types of water.
3. System of actual standard methods for water quality examination.
4. Water sample collection and preparation.
5. Sensoric quality of water.
6. Physical and chemical analysis of water.
7. Analysis of inorganic components in water - metal compounds.
8. - 9. Analysis of inorganic components in water - non-metal compounds.
10. - 11. Analysis of organic components in water - group determinations.
12. Analysis of organic components in water - determinations of chemical individuals.
13. The use of mobile analytical techniques.
The aim of this course is provide for students actual informations about analysis of water, using in practical analysis, according to valid standards.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Credit test at the end of the course.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BKCP_CHCHT Bachelor's
branch BKCO_CHTOZP , 3. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPCP_CHCHT Bachelor's
branch BPCO_CHTOZP , 3. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory