Computers and Programming 1
FEKT-KPC1MAcad. year: 2017/2018
Basic terminology of computer technology, computer architecture, personal computer peripherals, computer bus, networks, communication protocols, Internet services, information education. Specifics of operational systems, evolution of the processor, its internal structure and the types of architecture, instruction set. Number systems and conversions between them, interpretation of numbers. Algorithms, write algorithms, optimization algorithms with respect to computational unit. Branching program cycle, conditions, jumps, recursion. Program parameters.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
1. Student knows from what component consists of personal computer, is able to identify and understand their specifications.
2. He can name the most popular operating systems and has an overview of their differences.
3. Can a name commonly used wireless network.
4. Can explain the difference between Harvard and Von Neumann processor structure.
5. It can convert numbers from one number system.
6. Can explain the difference between processor and microcontroller.
7. Can name common microcontroller peripherals.
8. Can explain the notions instruction and program counter.
9. He can create a flowchart algorithm.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Pecinovský R, Virius M: Učebnice programování - základy algoritmizace. Grada Publishing, Praha 1997. (CS)
Doňar, B., Zaplatílek, K. MATLAB - tvorba uživatelských aplikací. BEN, 2004. (CS)
Kabelová, A., Dostálek, L. Velký průvodce protokoly TCP/IP a systémem DNS. Computer Press, 2008. (CS)
Ličev, L., Morkes, D. Procesory - architektura, funkce, použití. Computer Press, ISBN: 80-7226-172-X (CS)
DARWIN, F. Ian. Java. Praha : Computer Press, 2006. ISBN 80-251-0944-5. (CS)
Lasser, J. Rozumíme Unixu. Computer Press, 2002. ISBN: 80-7226-706-X (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lecture and laboratory excercises.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to Information Systems used at FEEC BUT and corresponding user accounts. Rules and guidelines. Access to University e-mail, WWW interface Horde. The electronic index.
2. Numeral systems, conversion between numeral systems. Representation of negative numbers. Arithmetic operations in binary system. Representation of decimal numbers, standard IEEE 754 Fractional representation of decimal numbers, rounding, representation of characters, character sets
3. Development of the processor and its architecture, processor core, ALU, memory, Von Neumann and Harvard architecture of the processor, machine instruction, instruction set, interrupt system.
4. PC architecture, structure, computer peripherals, computer development, (1st test)
5. Operating System (OS), OS role, abstraction provided by the OS, specific operating systems
6. Programming and markup languages. Division programming languages. Structured and object-oriented programming.
7. The algorithm, flowcharts, program branching, loops, conditionals, jumps, recursive notation
8. Algorithms to find maxima, minima, sorting (2nd test)
9. UML, modeling program structure
The aim of the course is to familiarize students with computer technology, including its practical application and programming from the level microcontroller and applications utilizing the processing power of personal computers grafickcýh cards. Students will get acquainted with the structure of a personal computer, which is composed of components and their interconnectivity. Get an overview of used buses and data repositories. At the same time the student will be informed about the functioning of operating systems and computer networks. An integral part of the structure is the explanation and understanding of the concepts CPU processor and controller. At the same time the aim is to teach students how to convert from one number system and explain the methods of presentation of digital numbers. Explain how the program branch, generally form loops, conditions and computational algorithms and their applications in the programming language. Explain how it works processor interrupt system. Explain the difference between serial and parallel, synchronous and asynchronous communication, how it works on the most common communication buses. Inquire about the use of peripherals for analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. UML outline possibilities for programming.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.