Music Theory 2
FEKT-JHT2Acad. year: 2017/2018
Basics of harmony, style and musical directions.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students are able to:
- Combine the basic harmonic functions,
- Combine distinctive connections in the minor,
- Create a cadence,
- Elaborate chord,
- Create modulation,
- Create a harmonious basis for soprano melody,
- Characterize the basic style epochs and musical directions.
The knowledge of basic concepts of musical acoustics, tempo, expression and dynamic signs, and musical instruments tuning is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Zenkl, L.: ABC hudebních forem
Šín, O. : Všeobecná nauka o hudbě. Praha 1949 (CS)
Pícha, F. : Všeobecná hudební nauka. Praha, SHV 1961 (CS)
Kohoutek, C. : Novodobé skladebné směry v hudbě. Praha, SHV 1965 (CS)
Kofroň, J,:: Učebnice harmonie
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
- Lectures have character of explanation accompanied with score sheet samples and with listening of recordings.
- Exercises support practical acquiring of themes presented at lectures in form of practical work with active participation of students.
Participation at lectures is recommended. Participation at other ways of instruction is checked.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follows Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT and Dean's Regulation to the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT. Up to 100 points is given for the final test examination and it is necessary to get at least 50 points for its successful completion. The exam is aimed at knowledge of music theory according to syllabus of subjects Music Theory 1 and 2.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to familiarize students with the basic concepts of music theory needed for further study in the field.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
To obtain the credit it is necessary to complete at least 10 exercises during semester. Other forms of the checked instructions are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantee of the course and updated for every academic year.