Modern methods in electrophysiology research
FEKT-DBT5Acad. year: 2017/2018
History and methods used in experimental cardiology. Isolated perfused Langendorff heart and its use for the isolation of cardiomyocytes. Methods for measuring of the membrane voltages and currents in different models. Electrocardiography and measuring the pressure in animal models. Registration of monophasic action potentials using various methods.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Natale,A. Handbook of cardiac Electrophysiology, Informa Healthcare, 2007
Sigg,D.C., Iaizzo, P.A., Xiao,Y.F., He,B.: Cardiac Electrophysiology Methods and Models, Springer, 2010
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. History of experimental cardiology .
2. Methods of experimental cardiology - overview.
3. Isolated perfused Langendorff heart.
5. Voltage clamp.
6. Patch clamp.
7. Electrocardiography of animal models.
8. The acquisition of monophasic action potentials via different methods.
9. The acquisition of pressure on isolated heart and the heart in situ.
10. Biochemical methods used in experimental cardiology.
11. Genetic and genomic studies.
The aim of the course is to provide an overview of the methodologies used in experimental cardiology, including an analysis of the obtained signals.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer