CAD in Communication Subsystems
FEKT-CRKSAcad. year: 2017/2018
Students become familiar with principles of passive and active microwave circuits simulation using software Ansoft HFSS and Designer. The Ansoft HFSS is an EM simulator intended for solving arbitrary 3D passive structures. Ansoft Designer is intended for circuit models and planar structures including active components. The course is terminated by an individual project, where students design a model of selected microwave circuit.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able to:
- understand principles of waveguides, coaxial and microstrip transmission lines, waveguide and planar antennas, power splitters, filters, microwave amplifiers
- design these structures using a simulation software
- understand principles of selected optimization techniques
Knowledge of bachelor-degree mathematics and physics is required. Previous passing courses High frequency techniques and Microwave techniques is an advantage.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
RAIDA, Z. CAD of communication systems. Skrtiptum FEKT VUT, 2006. (EN)
RADMANESH, M. RF and Microwave Circuit Design Essentiales. AuthorHouse, Bloomington, IN, 2009. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to elaborate a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Ansoft HFSS and common principles of fullwave electromagnetic simulators.
2. Microwave transmission lines (waveguides, coaxial and microstrip transmission lines).
3. Selected types of microwave antennas.
4. Antennas with parabolic reflector and properties of the feed.
5. Power splitters and combiners, directional couplers.
6. Lowpass filters.
7. Bandpass filters.
8. Linear model of an amplifier. Design of LNA.
9. Nonlinear behavior of an aplifier. Frequency multiplier, frequency mixer.
10. Optimization methods overview.
11. Consultation of individual projects.
12. Presentation of individual projects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Evaluation of activities is specified by a regulation, which is issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.