Theory of AD and DA Signal Conversion
FEKT-LTVPAcad. year: 2017/2018
Structure of a chain of blocks for analogue signal processing a nd reconstruction of digitized signal, applied codes. Programmable amplifiers, analogue multiplexers, input filters. SH and TH circuits. Parameters and types of DACs, chip structures, application notes. Parameters and types of ADCs, chip structures, application notes. Self calibration, testability. Vf and fV converters, Df converters, digital measurement of time intervals, phase, frequency.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- define the basic blocks signal processing chain of ADC and DAC,
- define and explain the basic parameters of AD and DA converters,
- describe the static transfer characteristic of AD and DA converters and mark some static parameters in it,
- describe the basic blocks of AD and DA converters (S/H, T/H stages, filters, reference, etc.), as well as design of those stages,
- describe and explain the function of the various structures of AD and DA converters, as well as on the basis of given parameters to select and design the most appropriate structure for the application.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested mainly design of analog and digital circuits and knowledge of analysis and signal processing.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Háze, J. a kol..: Teorie vzájemného převodu analogových a číslicových signálů. Učební text, Brno 2010. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lecture and laboratory excercises.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- a maximum of 40points for protocols of laboratory exercises,
- a maximum of 60 points for the written final exam.
Language of instruction
1 Basic information about ADC and DAC
2 Signal preprocessing
4 Sampling circuits
5 Reference sources
8 Sigma-delta converters
9 Another types of converters
11 New trends
1. Filters, sampling, aliasing
2. DAC with PWM
3. DAC with resistor network R-2R
4,5. Sigma delta ADC
6. Properties of ADC and DAC
The target of subject is to introduce fundamental principles of A/D and D/A converters, parameters of integrated converters and their applications.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Laboratory exercises are mandatory. Properly excused absence from seminars can be replaced by appointment with the teacher.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-ML1 Master's
branch ML1-MEL , 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-ML Master's
branch ML-MEL , 2. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized