Digital Television and Radio Systems
FEKT-MDTVAcad. year: 2017/2018
Students become familiar with fundamentals of sampling, quantization and coding of video and audio, then with compression and creation of transport stream and multiplexation in the digital video and audio broadcasting standards. The course continues by explanation of transmission principles in the individual transmission channels in satellite, cable and terrestrial digital video and audio broadcasting. Emphasis is put on explanation of principles of source coding, channel coding and modulation of video, audio and multimedia signals. Students acquire knowledge of the methods applicable to measurement individual standards for video and audio broadcasting.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able to:
- explain principles of sampling, quantization and coding of the video and audio signals,
- explain principles of source and channel coding and modulation for digital television and radio
- describe creation of transmission multiplex of video and audio for digital television and radio
- compare individual standards fro satellite, cable and terrestrial transmission of the digital television and radio
- characterize individual transmission channels for satellite, cable and terrestrial transmission of the digital television and radio
- analyze transmission parameters, transmission errors and quality of digital television and radio services
- measure parameters of the digital television and radio signals
Students registering for the course should be able to explain the basic principles of digital signal processing and data communication. Generally, the knowledge of the Bachelor's degree level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
FISCHER, W. Digital Video and Audio Broadcasting Technology. A practical Engineering Guide (Third Edition). Springer, 2010. ISBN 978-3642116117. (EN)
REIMERS, U. DVB. The Family of International Standards for Digital Video Broadcasting (Second Edition). Springer, 2005. ISBN 978-3540435457. (EN)
HOEG, W., LAUTERBACH, T. Digital Audio Broadcasting. Principles and Applications of DAB, DAB+ and DMB (Third Edition). Willey, 2009. ISBN 978-0470510377. (EN)
LEGÍŇ, M. Televizní technika DVB-T. BEN – technická literatura, Praha, 2006. ISBN 978-8073002046. (CS)
BEDNÁŘ, J., GREGORA, P. Příjem DVB-T. BEN – technická literatura, Praha, 2007. ISBN 978-8073002213. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
During the semester, students can obtain up to 30 points for their active work in laboratory. The final exam is awarded by up to 70 points.
Language of instruction
1. Digital television and audio broadcasting fundamentals according to DVB and DMB.
2. Digitization of the video image and sound in LDTV, SDTV, HDTV applications.
3. Video image and sound source coding and MPEG based compressions.
4. Forward error correction against transmission errors in digital television DVB.
5. Digital modulation in DVB transmission (M-PSK, M-QAM, multiplex OFDM).
6. Digital television and broadcasting standards - DVB-S/S2, DVB-C/C2, DVB-T/T2.
7. Digital terrestrial and satellite broadcasting for handhelds - DVB-H/SH.
8. Digital audio broadcasting with multimedia and services - DAB, DAB+, DMB.
9. Television receivers (set-top boxes) with digital processing of DVB-T/T2.
10. DVB-T/T2 television transmitters, SFN networks and MPEG-2 TS multiplexes.
11. Transmission channels and links influence on video image quality of DVB services.
12. Datacasting - Electronic Program Guide, interactivity, MHP, DVB-IPDC, IPTV.
1. Image coding and compression of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC.
2. Forward error correction influence on video image quality.
3. DVB-T terrestrial digital television and signal measurements.
4. Receiver and set-top box measurements in DVB-T.
5. Transport stream MPEG-2 TS analyzer and decoder.
6. DVB-S to DVB-C converter and digital cable television measurements.
7. DVB-S/S2 digital TV signal measurements from Astra satellite (including HDTV).
8. Transmission errors evaluation and digital video quality measurements in DVB-T.
Lectures are aimed at presenting the methods and technical means for digital video, audio and multimedia transmission in satellite, cable and terrestrial digital video and audio broadcasting networks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme AUDIO-P Master's
branch P-AUD , 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, optional interdisciplinary
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-EST , 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, optional specialized