Electric Arc Application
FEKT-MAELAcad. year: 2017/2018
Basic orientation in problems of technical application of plasma, survey of essential diagnostic methods and apparatuses for estimation of plasma parameters. Information on technical means with switching electric arc, on plasma generators and their operation, on plasma modification of materials and their properties with special respect to environmental friendly technologies.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic knowledge necessary for development, design, and operation of devices using thermal plasma produced by electric arc for technology purpose.
Graduate from this subject is able to:
- define plasma, lowtemperature plasma and enumerate the basic plasma properties,
- orient in problems of plasma technology.
- describe the man parts of arc heater - device generated thermal plasma.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Teaching methods include lectures, numerical exercises. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
There are continuous tests in the numerical exercises.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every.
Language of instruction
1. Plasma, plasma types, thermal plasma, plasma temperature, plasma composition.
2. Thermodynamic properties of thermal plasma.
3. Transport properties of thermal plasma.
4. Electrical arc, V-A characteristic of arc, mathematical description of V-A characteristic.
5. Electrical arc in switching, arc quenching, heavy current, interactive and dielectric interval.
6. Arc heaters - description, types of arc heaters, stabilization of electric arc, theory and construction of arc heaters.
7. Basis of mathematical and physical modelling of electric arc, simplified model of electric arc.
8. Basis of diagnostc of plasma. Indirect method of determination of intermediate temperature and speed of plasmajet in the arc heater exit.
9. Mathematical and physical description of plasma processes, design of the arc heater.
10. Fitting of the arc heater, cooling system, gas system, measurements in working order.
11. Plasma applications.
To provide students with essential information on direct technological application of electric arc, on problems of switching arc, on theory and design of plasma generators, on properties of plasma, and on some plasma technologies.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.