Control and Data Administration
FEKT-MRSDAcad. year: 2016/2017
The subject deals with present computing devices for control, organization and active administration of technical and organizational data processed in electronic form - Product Data Management systems. The subject deals with these problems on the level of projects, plants and also of outside cooperation. As model examples there are used systems PDM Works (of the firm SolidVision) and SmarTeam (of the firm SmartSolution). Practical part of teaching takes place in the environment of PDMWorks product on a model database with simulated operations.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Student will be acquainted with the PDM prinicple - Product Data Management – system for the management and administration of company data.
- Student will master the PDMWorks system:
• manages the data flow setting from both individuals and workgroups, setting the incoming messages, authorization, administration of the concurrent access of more users to the data, including taking measures against mutual conflicts of updates performed by different users,
• masters the security mechanisms preventing the unauthorized access to data,
• is familiar with the issues of version and review management in the ,given systems of company data management and administration,
• masters the possibility of the change of the physical structure of the file in the database without interfering with current users and processes,
• masters the mechanisms for creating backups and recoveries after breakdowns.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MAXA, J. Řízení a správa dat. VET FEKT Brno: 2006. s. 1 ( s.) (CS)
McGraw-Hill, Engineering Data Management - A Guide to Successful Implementation, Maidenhead, England, ISBN: 007- 707621-4.
Kenneth G. McIntosh, Engineering Data Management : A Guide to Successful Implementation, 1995, New York.
John Stark, Van Norstrand Reinhold, Engineering Information Management Systems: Beyond CAD/CAM to Concurrent Engineering Support, New York, NY, 1992, ISBN 0-442-01075-3.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture are conducted by using PowerPoint presentation, short video - clips and films and discussion with students. Exercising are divided on computer and reckoning exercising. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
30 count - work over semester
70 count - test in last semester
Language of instruction
Characteristic and means of electronic definition of the product (EPD-Electronic Product Definition), couplings between components.
. Product structure, data structure, database of information, data sharing in real time, parallel work on a project (concurrent engineering).
Product Data Management (PDM) systems - products, characteristic.
Product Structure, Vault, Workflow as major elements of PDM systems, which enable access to the structure, control of access to data and distribution of information - explanation, description and characteristic.
PDM system as a tool of team cooperation, creating and administration of product structure, communication and administration and also integration of data. Data flow control.
Problems of system administrator, determining system operating attributes, permission of access and changes of data, data backup and their safety, monitoring PDM system output.
Program PDMWorks. Application Integration .
Program PDMWorks.Common Product Structure.
Program PDMWorks. Document Management. Engineering Change Orders control (ECO).
Program PDMWorks.Information Distribution. Product History
Program PDMWorks.Information Navigation. Safety. Workflow
Comparison of functions, output and possibilities of available systems.
Trends of development in the sphere of EPD and PDM.
To make acquainted students with computer systems of technical data administration processed in electronic form.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-EVM , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-M Master's
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-MEL , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, optional specialized