Power Converter Technique
FEKT-NTVMAcad. year: 2015/2016
Principles of the unless electric energy conversion. Synthesis of the power converters topology. Converters of type ČUK, SEPIC, ZETA. Multilevel converters. Analysis of the power converters. Models and simulation in power electronic. Mathematical models of the power switching devices. High-voltage converters. High-current low-voltage converters.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Special types of converters. Special fenomena in power electronics.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Chee-Mun Ong: Dynamic Simulation of Electric Machinery. Prentice-Hall, 1998.
Patočka M.: Vybrané statě z výkonové elektroniky, sv.I.
Patočka M.: Vybrané statě z výkonové elektroniky, sv.II.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures are lead with the massive support of Power-Point. The Power-Point file is available for students.
In laboratories, students measure and analyse 4 exercises (transistor power converters) with the help of oscillograph.
In numerical exercises, the typical tasks are solved (design of active and passive elements of power converters).
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every.
Language of instruction
1. Thermal phenomena in the power electronics.
2. Design of the air heat-sinks.
3. Liquid heat-sinks, cooling of the device cases, thermal pipes.
4. Dynamics of the thermal phenomena.
5. Active power, its computing and measurement in the power electronics.
6. Computing of the power losses in the converter.
7. DC/DC pulse converters – the principle, overview.
8. DC/AC pulse converters – the principle, overview.
9. Analysis of the step-down converter. Design of the output LC-filter.
10. Pulse width modulation – PWM at the DC/DC and DC/AC converters.
11. Power switching transistors.
12. Drivers for the power switching transistors.
13. Analysis of the switch-on and switch-off phenomena in the transistor.
Special types of the power converters. Simulation in power electronics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.