Services of telecommunication networks
FEKT-NSTSAcad. year: 2015/2016
The subject deals for services provided by current telecommunication networks. Students obtain essential knowledge of technologies, which are all the time used, while no preferentially, so with services ISDN and with Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM. Stress is however given to actual technologies as xDSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, VDSL) and to modern transmission connected to signalling system SS7. Students significantly deepen knowledge of Internet protocol version 6 in IPv4 relationship and of Quality of Service QoS direction. They obtain next information of integration IP/ATM and of LAN emulation. They will be instructed with priority control at network elements and with services over power network and cable TV.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduate of this subject is able to:
- analyse services given by contemporary communication networks,
- theoretically analyse technologies related with xDSL services,
- justify contemporary state of ISDN usage,
- sum features of ISDN,
- compare ATM and next possibilities of high-speed transmission
- explore creation of ATM cells in relation of services,
- design signalling by SS7,
- categorize Quality of service QoS,
- explore possibility of IPv6 at QoS assurance,
- compare possibilities of network elements routing,
- plan LAN emulation,
- judge services transmitted through power network and cable TV,
- practice environment MySQL,
- configure Jabber server,
- estimate network safety.
Student, who register this subject, would to be able:
- explain basic terms of converged communication networks,
- define feature of Ethernet type networks,
- name regularity IPv4,
- express features of multimedia services,
- apply knowledge of mandatory subject Theory Informatics,
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested generally.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠKORPIL,V.: Služby telekomunikačních sítí. VUT, Brno 2014.
SIEGMUND, G., PRAGER, E.: ATM-technika pro širokopásmové sítě ATM. Hutig-Beneš, Praha 1997.
BLUNÁR,K., VACULÍK,M.: Digitálne siete integrovaných služeb, VŠDS, Žilina 1996.
ODOM,W., HEALY,R., MEHTA,N. Směrování a přepínání sítí. CPress, Brno 2009.
STARR, T., CIOFFI, J.M., SILVERMAN, P.J.: Understanding Digital Subscriber Line technology. Prentice Hall, London 1999.
BLACK, V.: Voice over IP. Prentice Hall, London 2002.
GRIFFITHS, J.M.: ISDN Explained. John Wiley, New York 1999.
GILLESPIE, A.: Broadband Access, Technology, Interfaces and Management. Artech House, London 2001.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, practical laboratories and computer laboratories. The part of this course is a project and a presentation of results in power point. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-5 points – activity in laboratory,
0-5 points – activity in computer exercises,
0-20 points - elaboration of individual project of MySQL database design,
0-70 points - written exam with e-learning support, compulsory part of the completion of the course.
Exam is focused to verify the orientation of the services of communication networks with focus on Quality of Service, IPv6 and control of network elements.
Language of instruction
1. Services provided by current telecommunication networks.
2. Technology connecting with services xDSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, VDSL) including theoretical analysis.
3. Services ISDN. Basic at Primary Access, reference model of subscriber connection ISDN, frame structure at interface S0, terminal power supply.
4. Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM. ATM principle, services classes, ATM cells, layer model.
5. Signalling system SS7. SS7 features, signalling network, SS7 building, Massage Transfer Part MTP, user parts, dynamic network routing, management SS7.
6. Internet protocol version 6, IPv4 relationship.
7. Quality of service QoS.
8. IP and ATM, communication principles.
9. Basic principles of active network elements functions - router, switch and their services in the network.
10. Layer 3 switching, peer-to-peer multilayer mapping, integration ATM/IP, -non-connection oriented service, classical IP over ATM (CLIP) and next developing.
11. LAN Emulation, private network - to - network interface (PNNI).
12. Artificial intelligence for priority controlling at network networks.
13. Data transmission and with it related services over energetic network and cable TV.
The aim of this subject gives to students extensive orientation at services of communication networks, summary of IPv6 with Quality of Service sight and analyses priority routing at network elements.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance on laboratories is compulsory, properly excused laboratories can be filled after talking to the lecturer.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Exercise in computer lab
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course