Medical Information Systems
FEKT-MZISAcad. year: 2015/2016
The course is oriented to principles of information systems, database systems and query languages. It is focused on getting knowledge about patient data and computerized patient record. It dicuses a computer as a component of diagnostic, therapeutic, and administrative systems, hierarchy and function of medical information systems, speciality of ethics and security of medical data in information systmes.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- describe basic structures of medical information systems,
- explain fundamental terms of electronic health records,
- describe principle of basic methods for processing of data in information systems,
- discus advantages and disadvantages of the methods,
- work with clinical information system.
The student should be able to explain fundamental principles of data processing, should know basic terms of healthcare processes and should be oriented in basic knowledge of database systems. Generally, knowledge of mathematics on the level of Bachelor study is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MUNZ, J. Informační technologie ve zdravotnictví - Informační systémy. ČVUT Praha, 2011. ISBN 978-80-01-04720-0. (CS)
ŠPUNDA, M., DUŠEK, J. a kol. Zdravotnická informatika. Karolinum, Praha, 2007. (CS)
Pokorný, J.: Databázové systémy a jejich použití v informačních systémech. Academia, Praha, 1992. (CS)
van Bemmel, J.H. (ed.): Yearbook of Medical Informatics. Schattauer, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000. (EN)
Gardarin, G: Relational Databases and Knowledge Bases. Addison Wesley Co., 1999. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write projects/assignments during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 30 points from computer exercises (2 individual projects, 1 test)
up to 70 points from finel written exam
The exam is oriented to verification of orientation in terms of medical information systems and ability to define a structure of medical information systems.
Language of instruction
1. Czech health care organization and health care information systems.
2. Database systems, database models.
3. Computer as a part of diagnostic, therapeutic, and administrative systems.
4. Hospital information systems.
5. Hospital information systems based on a centralized or distributed database.
6. Computerized patient record, medical data.
7. Electronic Health Record - the concept of e-Health.
8. Communication between different information systems, data standards.
9. Principles of construction of hospital information systems.
10. Data security, specifics of ethics in medical information systems.
11. Accounting for health care.
12. Planning systems, call systems.
13. Management information systems.
The aim of the course is to inform students about principles of specification of medical data regarding its processing by diagnostic systems and medical information systems, provide information about structure of medical data representation, its role in diagnostic systems and concepts of medical information systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Computer exercises are obligatory. Excused absence can be substituted.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-BEI , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-M Master's
branch M-BEI , 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory