Ecology in Manufacturing
FEKT-MEKVAcad. year: 2015/2016
Ecology of production, negative impact of production on environment. Cleaner production and forms of its application in practice. Recycling products of electrotechnical production. Waste water at the surface treatment of metals. Used transformer and condenser kinds of oil. Toxic waste materials. Waste at production of fluorescent lamps, discharge lamps and cathode-ray tubes. Waste materials at production of plastic, electrochemical sources of electric energy.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- Characterize the various types of waste, to name a split ways of recycling waste.
- Define the chemical toxic inorganic and organic substances.
- Describe (based on current knowledge) the main mechanisms contributing to global warming, can describe the principle greenhouse effect.
- Discuss different perspectives on the global environment, with a focus on European legislation, the U.S. legislation and legislation in developing countries.
- Explain the concept of sustainability and describe the evolution and current status of applicable legislation.
- Describe the mechanisms of corrosion of metals and define the basics of coatings.
- Describe the basic symptoms of electrostatic, magnetic and electromagnetic fields and their effect on biological systems.
- Can describe the life cycle of the product and describe the fault model of the product. They can characterize faults define the probability of failure.
Students who take the course registration should be able to explain the basic principles of electrical processes in the production of insulators, semiconductors and metals, discuss the basic concepts of ecology, global warming and the impact of human population on the environment. General knowledge is required at the bachelor's, or secondary studies.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
US Environmet Protection Agency:Profile of the Electronic and Computer Industry,EPA/310-R-95-002, 1995 (EN)
CBI Rotterdam:Environmental Quick Scan Electronic Components,The Netherlands 1997 (EN)
Elektronická skripta předmětu (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a two projects during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Presented semestral task max 40p
Final exam - max 60p
Requirements for successful completion of the subject can be specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Ecology of production, negative impact of production on environment.
2. Global warming, greenhouse effect principle, the influence of human civilization.
3. Cleaner production and forms of its application at production processes.
4. Ecologically friendly technologies of electrotechnical products operation.
5. Recycling products of electrotechnical production.
6. Treatment of waste water at surface treatment of metals.
7. Treatment of used transformer and condenser kinds of oil.
8. Toxic materials at production and recycling of electrotechnical products.
9. Waste materials at production and recycling of plastic
10. Waste at production of fluorescent lamps, discharge lamps and cathode-ray tubes and their recycling.
11. Ecological processes at production of electrochemical sources.
12. Environmentally friendly technologies at operation of electrochemical sources.
13. Environmentally friendly technologies of recycling electrochemical sources.
The aim of the course is to apply the ecological knowledge and procedures at production, operation and recycling of electrotechnical products. Within the frame of the knowledge of cleaner production it concerns minimizing the negative influence of production on environment. During recycling of products it concerns ensuring the minimum influence of technology on environment and effort to ensure the maximum share of recycled components at their secondary use.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-EVM , 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-M Master's
branch M-EVM , 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, optional specialized