Electromechanical System Dynamics
FEKT-LDESAcad. year: 2015/2016
The basic laws of electromechanical energy conversion. Electromechanical systems with one or more excitation coils, with linear and with rotor movement. Dynamic equations. Variation principle. Theory of general electric machine, basic equations and its linear transformation. Mathematical model of synchronous generator, interaction of synchronous generator and mains, transients in the system generator - mains.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Subject graduate should have been able:
- explain principle of electromechanical energy conversion
- explain principle of accumulation of electric and magnetic accumulation,
- explain terms energy and coenergy, conservative and nonconservative system,
- derive expression of force and torque in linear and nonlinear system with linear and rotary movement and solve simple exaples,
- form dynamic equations of electromagnetic system,
- describe and explain general theory of electric machines and form dynamic equations,
- explain transformation of coordinates,
- form dynamic equations of induction, synchronous and DC machines and solve electric machines transients using Matlab Simulink.
Student should have been able to:
- explain electromagnetic basic principles, solve DC, AC electric circuits with lumped parameters and magnetic circuits,
- differentiate functions of one and more variables,
- integrate functions of one and more variables,
- solve transients in linear and nonlinear circuits using Matlab Similink,
- explain principle of operation and properties of electromagnets, transformers, induction, synchronous and DC machines.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Měřička, Zoubek:Obecná teorie elektrického stroje,SNTL Praha
Majmudar, H.:Electromechanical energy converters,England Allynana Bacon
Chee-Mun Ong: Dynamic Simulation of Electric Machinery
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Individual work altogether 20 points
Final exam 80 points
Language of instruction
Basic laws of electromechanical energy conversion. Laws of conservation of energy.
Energy and coenergy as state function. Systems with one and/or more excitation coils.
Dynamic equations of an electromechanical system.
Lagrange equations, Hamiltons principle of motion.
General electric machine and its equations.
DC machine as a general electric machine.
Transformation of coordinates. General view.
Synchronous machine. Mathematical expression of self and mutual inductances.
Transformation of coordinates: a,b,c to d,q,0; reverse transformation.
Dynamic equations of synchronous machine in transformed coordinates. Transients in the system electrical machine and mains.
Transformation of coordinates of an induction machine. Mathematical model in arbitrary rotating q,d,0 coordinates.
Modelling in steady state and in transient regime.
Mathematical model and simulation of transformer.
Simulation software Matlab. Basic instruction. Principle of electric circuit solutions.
Computer programme for differential equation solution. Simulation of DC motor transients.
Simulation of DC shunt motor transients. Nonlinearity of magnetic circuit influence.
Dynamic equation of electromagnet. Electromagnet supplied from DC and/or AC source. Electromagnet supplied from rectifier.
The students will get the basic knowledge of electromechanical energy conversion, the knowledge of how to set dynamic equations of electromechanical systems and how to solve these equations on PC. The students will be acquainted with the general theory of electrical machines.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-ML Master's
branch ML-SVE , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-ML1 Master's
branch ML1-SVE , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory