Materials and Technical Documentation
FEKT-KMTDAcad. year: 2015/2016
Materials for electrical and electronic engineering, classification. Electrical conducting and resistive materials. Superconductors. Ferro- and ferrimagnetic materials. Dielectric and insulating materials. Semiconductors. Materials for optoelectronics.
Standardization of documents (ISO, EN, IEC, ETS, ČSN). Drawings of parts and assembly. Schemes in electrotechnics. Documentation for printed circuit boards. Diagrams. Text documents. Informative database. Computer support for creating documentation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- be knowledgeable in electronic and electrical materials,
- classify electrical materials according to electric conductivity and behavior in electric and magnetic fields,
- describe typical properties and parameters of particular categories of electrical materials and links between these properties and material structure and composition,
- be knowledgeable in basic selection of suitable materials for construction of simple electronic and electrical devices,
- create drawing documentation in electrical engineering,
- read the drawing documentation of other branches for cooperation,
- create simple drawing documentation of the mechanical engineering type including tolerances of shape, position and structure of the surface,
- use basics of the SolidWorks system – creating 3D volume models and assemblies.
Knowledge of physics and mathematics on the secondary level of education.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Jirák, J., Autrata, R., Liedermann, K., Rozsívalová, Z., Sedlaříková, M.: Materiály a technická dokumentace, část Materiály v elektrotechnice. Elektronické texty, Brno 2002. (CS)
Procházka, P., Rozsívalová, Z.: Materiály a technická dokumentace, část Technická dokumentace. Elektronické texty, Brno 2002. (CS)
Hassdenteufel, J. a ost.: Elektrotechnické materiály, Alfa-SNTL Bratislava 1978. (CS)
Giesecke,F., a další: Technical Drawing,Prentice Hall, USA (CS)
Askeland, D. R.: The science and engineering of materials. PWS Publishing Company, Boston (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, numerical exercises, computer laboratories and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system.Students have to write seven separate assignments.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 26 points during the semester (16 points from laboratory seminars and 10 points from computer exercises)
up to 37 points from written test focused on technical documentation
up to 37 points from written final exam focused on electronic materials
Language of instruction
1) Purpose and importance of documentation, sorting and types of documents, standardization of technical documents (ISO, EN, IEC, ETS, ČSN). Ways and methods of processing. Importance of graphical information. Basic standardization for graphical documents.
2) Computer support facilities (MS Word, MS Excel, OrCAD/SDT, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Computer-aided engineering CAE).
3) Display methods in drawing documentation, E and A methods. Appropriate form of parts drawings (display, dimensioning and its accuracy, rules of surface state, geometrical tolerances). Assembly drawings, drawings with electrical assembly.
4) Electrotechnical schemes - general and supplementary marks, marks of components, combined marks (ČSN IEC 617). Display of connections and couplings. Marking objects in electrotechnics by letters and numbers. Ways and methods of displaying on schemes. Kinds of electrotechnical schemes.
5) Basic documentation for printed circuit boards. Terminology, classes of precision, execution, necessities of basic documents. Kinds of basic graphic documents.
6) Text documents (ČSN ISO 5966), requirements on the layout, elaboration and design. Diagrams and their creating. Informative database - bases, study of literature, patents etc.
7) Materials for electrical and electronic engineering. Composition, structure and regulation of the material`s properties. Crystalline and amorphous matters. Energy band model.
8) Metallic materials. Conducting and resistive materials. Solders, materials for electric contacts, thermoelements, fuses. Superconductors.
9) Semiconductors. Elemental and compound semiconductors, organic semiconduconductors.
10) Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors. Thermodynamic equilibrium of charge carriers. Conductivity of semiconductors.
11) Organic and inorganic insulating materials. Dielectric materials. Piezoelectrics, electrets. Dielectric polarization and electrical conductivity.
12) Magnetically soft- and hard materials. Ferro- and ferrimagnetic materials. Materials for magnetic recording. Metallic glass.
13) Materials for optoelectronics. Optical fibres,liquid crystals. Displays and imagers. Composites and sandwich structures. Materials for production of printed circuits.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with materials for electrical and electronic engineering, with their classification and with their important properties. This information enables basic orientation in selection of materials for constructions of electrotechnical and electronic devices and equipments.
The aim in the part "Technical Documentation" is to acquaint students with standardization of documents in elektrotechnology, with ways and demands on their processing. The students will learn the basis of usage of CAD systems, MS Word and Excel.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Obligatory participation in teaching.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-BK Bachelor's
branch BK-AMT , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
branch BK-EST , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
branch BK-MET , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
branch BK-SEE , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
branch BK-TLI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
9 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
Exercise in computer lab
12 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer