Design of Vacuum Systems for Technologies in Microelectronics
FEKT-BEPTAcad. year: 2015/2016
Graduand of lectures will have option knowledges from field of fysical poperties of diluted gass, (laws for gases, flowing of gass, mechanism of gass). Object interests with design of vacuum systems with respect to pumping effectivity and price. It interests about principles of measuring of vacuum. Graduaters adopt basing knowledge of design software VACTRAN. They will know anything about vacuum technological operating in vacuum and surroundings of technical gasses (vacuum evaporating, sputtering, ion etching and the others). They adopt also informations about construction of technological equipments for this types of production in electronics. In lectures will be presented english terminology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduater is able:
- list basic units of pressure, pressure conversion
- define basic physical properties of diluted gass and properties by flowing
- explain physical principles and construction of vacuum pumps
- explain physical principles and construction of vacuum gauges
- select convenient materials with respects to the vacuum
- explain what it is vakuum evaporating and sputtering and when used it
- calculate and design simple vacuum curcuit
- used professional software VACTRAN in summary
- used basic english terminology
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Fikes,L.: Fyzika nízkých tlaků, SNTL, Praha, 1991. (CS)
Pátý,L.: Vakuová technika, ČVUT, Praha, 1990. (CS)
Grozskowski J.: Technika vysokého vakua, SNTL, Praha, 1981 (CS)
V.Hulínský, K.Jurek: Zkoumání látek elektronovým paprskem, SNTL, Praha 1982 (CS)
J. F. O‘Hanlon: A User‘s Guide to Vacuum Technology, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey (EN)
A.Roth: Vacuum Technology, 1990 Elsevier Science B.V. 1990, ISBN 0 444 880100 (EN)
Jaroslav Boušek, Josef Šandera: Elektrovakuové přístroje a technika nízkých teplot, skriptum FEKT VUT, Brno 2003 Jaroslav Boušek, Josef Šandera: Elektrovakuové přístroje a technika nízkých teplot, skriptum FEKT VUT, Brno 2003 (CS)
Professional Engineering Computations - VacTran-Vacuum Technology Software, www.vactran.com (EN)
ŠANDERA, J.,BOUŠEK, J., KOSINA, P.:Návrh vakuových soustav pro technologie v mikroelektronice. Prezentace projektu KISP. Brno 2014
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Laboratory lectures - 23 marks
Finisch examine - 77 marks
(oral and written examine)
Language of instruction
1) Classification of vacuum, gass, steam, pressure and units, conversion of units, properties of atoms and molecules, ideal gass laws Boyle Marriot, Gay Lussac, state equation of gass, Dalton law, important constants, surface tension og gass.
2) Basics of cinetic theory of gases - gass by low and high pressure, particle flux,dependence of pressure on concentration and temperature, mean free path of gass molecule, Maxwell-Boltzmann molecular velocity distribution curve, valume and transport phenomenon - diffusion, effusion,gass viscosity, coefficients of transport in low and high pressure.
3) Flowing gass through pipes - analogy between electric current, volume and mass flow of gass, resistivity and conductivity of pipe, connecting of pipes, types of flow - turbulents, viscous,molecular, efuse.
4) Surface phenomenons - sorption, dessorption, the strenght of bonds, monomolecular and multimolecular layers, basic sorption isotherms, vapour pressure, capillary condensation.
5) Ionizing gas,moving of electrons in electric and magnetic field, plazma and her properties.
6) Lowest pressure and pumping speed - pumping speed and measuring it, time for pumping on defined pressure, lowest pressure, influens of leaks on pressure, getrs, schematic diagrams
7) Theory and construction of pumps - parameters of pumps, transport and sorption pumps, rotating pumps, Root´s pump, turbomolecular pump, vapour ejector and diffusion pumps. Sorption pump, titanum and sublimation titanum discharge pump, diode and triode ion pump. Cryopumping mechanism, cryo-sorption - zeolit pumps.
8) Vacuum measuring - absolut vaccuometers, Torricelli vacuometer, U-tube vacuometer,McLeod, thermal conductivity vacuometers - termocouple and Pirani gauge, ionization gauges, discharge (Penning) gauge, ionizatin gauges, construction of gauge.
9) Leak detection, construction of vacuum systems - materials, design, electrical lead-throughs, air taps, valves, seals, design of industrial constructions, movementand holders in vacuum, handling with substrates, materials in vacuum.
10) Design of vacuum systems, economical criteria, particularity of design systems for research and serial production, properties and possibility software VACTRAN.
11) Technological principles for electronics and microelectronics - vacuum evaporating, ion sputtering, plazmatic etching and cleaning.
12) Industry constructions for technological equipment, metalizing of plastics - MP capacitors production, metal contacts production, modification of surfaces.
general gass law
Acquirement of the knowledges about modern vacuum technics for use in electronics, in electrotechnical and mechanical industry. Explanation with using software (USA) for design of vacuum systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Laboratory practtical class. Numerical practical class, Computer practical class. All lectures are mandatory. The regular apologied lectures students could compensate after consultation with teacher (during semester, in extremis in the credit week).
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
12 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
14 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course