Objective of the course – aims of the course unit:|
The aim of the BYA23 course is to increase upper-intermediate level students’ capabilities in English in all areas: grammar, vocabulary, speaking, listening, reading and writing, and this to the B2 level of the CEF (Common European Framework) established by the Council of Europe. For a brief summary of what is involved in the B2 level of English see the Anotace.
Objective of the course – learning outcomes and competences:|
The students will improve their knowledgeaim of English at upper-intermediate level in all areas: grammar, vocabulary, speaking, listening, reading and writing, and this to the B2 level of the CEF (Common European Framework) established by the Council of Europe.
Students need to have passed the BY51 exam in order to be able to enrol for this course. In other words, they are already able to do the following well:
- generally understand information about familiar topics and situations, such as those met at work, in school, in free time etc. providing they are expressed in a clear and straightforward manner,
- use English to communicate successfully in most situations encountered when travelling abroad,
- create a simple connected text with a simple context,
- describe experiences and events, ambitions, hopes and plans, and to briefly explain or justify their ideas and statements.
They also are recommended to have taken the following optional courses: BYA7, BYA8, BYA20, BYA21, BYA22.
Course contents (annotation):|
The BYA23 course, is a LOWER ADVANCED (B2) LEVEL course which aims to improve students’ ability to:
- work with complex texts and generally understand the main points within,
- communicate fluently and spontaneously with native speakers, on a regular basis if necessary, in such a way that neither party has trouble making themselves clear or understanding the other,
- use the English language with a good degree of accuracy when dealing with familiar topics and using common grammatical forms.
Teaching methods and criteria:|
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes:|
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
This is a new course, and so the timetable is extremely rough.
The book used is FCE Masterclass
Weeks 1 – 3: Unit 9 – Around us
Weeks 4 – 6: Unit 10 – Innovation
Week 7 – 9: Unit 11 – Communication
Week 10 – 12: Unit 12 – Society
Week 13: Credit test, based on the materials covered in Units 9 – 12, and featuring exam – style exercises.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences:|
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Oxenden, C. - Latham-Koenig, C.: New English File Advanced. Oxford University Press