Objective of the course – aims of the course unit:|
Principles of traffic engineering, traffic flow theory, traffic data collection and processing, capacity calculations, forecasting, traffic control and organisation.
Objective of the course – learning outcomes and competences:|
Students understand principles of traffic flow phenomena, and they get knowledge of traffic engineering methods. They are able to collect traffic data, process and analyze them. They know capacity calculations, forecasting, traffic control and organisation.
Text processing, spreadsheets, elementary knowledge of CAD, mathematics, physics.
Course contents (annotation):|
Students learn the basic principles traffic engineering. This includes basic theory of traffic flow, system of capacity calculations of road sections and crossroads, traffic organization in towns and cities and use of new control technologies for capacity raise and traffic monitoring (telematics). Furthermore students will be acquainted with the methods of data collection and data processing of - traffic researching - mainly intensity. Data will be used to create traffic models for individual car traffic and public transport. Simulations are executed on standard SW to demonstrate traffic situations and verify analyzed phenomena and performed calculations.
Teaching methods and criteria:|
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes:|
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
1. Introduction to traffic engineering, traffic engineering branches.
2. Transportation systems categories.
3. Traffic flow theory.
4. Capacity calculations - free highway segment.
5. Capacity calculations - uncontrolled intersections.
6. Capacity calculations - roundabouts.
7. Capacity calculations - Traffic light controlled intersections.
8. Traffic data collection systems.
9. Traffic studies - individual vehicle transport.
10. Traffic studies - public transport.
11. Mathematical transport models - individual vehicle transport.
12. Mathematical transport models - public transport.
13. Traffic forecasting systems,traffic control and organisation.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences:|
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Medelská Viera, Jirava Petr, Nop Dušan, Rojan Jiří: Dopravné inžinierstvo. Alfa Bratislava 1991
Novák Ludvík, Doupal Emil: Dopravní inženýrství - Návody do cvičení. VUT v Brně 1991
TSS-Transport Simulation Systems: Aimsun 6.1 Users Manual. TSS-Transport Simulation Systems 2010
Medelská Viera, Bezák Bystrík, Frešo Peter: Dopravné inžinierstvo - Návody do cvičenia. SVŠT Bratislava 1983
Pavlíček Jan: Městské komunikace. VUT v Brně 1988
sborník: Metody řízení dopravy v městských aglomeracích. Eltodo a.s. 1996