Objective of the course – aims of the course unit:|
The course provides students with the vocabulary, grammar, and functions necessary to become operational in professional and social situations.
Objective of the course – learning outcomes and competences:|
Acquisition of new vocabulary.
Developing grammar knowledge.
Developing the language skills (reading, speaking, listening, and writing)
Introducing and revising common phrases of spoken English.
Work with technical texts.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is requested.
Course contents (annotation):|
A standard course of English for intermediate students orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during teaching this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.
Teaching methods and criteria:|
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes:|
75% attendance and active participation at classes, fulfilment of given assignments.
1. Modal verbs. Differences between British and American English.
2. Giving presentations. Reading: International Outsourcing.
3. Future arrangements and intentions. Collocations.
4. Present Continuous and 'going to'. Business communication.
5. Temporal clauses. Writing e-mails.
6. 1st and 2nd Conditionals. Phrasal verbs.
7. Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Continuous. Job descriptions.
8. Describing a process. Interviewing techniques.
9. 3rd Conditional. Confusing words.
10. Business correspondence. 'Should' + perfect infinitive.
11. Reported speech. Collocations.
12. Technical text. Social responses.
13. Semester test.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences:|
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Taylor, Liz: International Express Intermediate. New edition. Student's Book. OUP 2005
Elektronické texty k předmětu.